Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals to French & Belgian Agents

JMB1943

While researching an English soldier, I tripped over an MIC for a "Belgian Agent"; actually three with the same surname, presumably a family.

Are there any books relating to the activities of Franco/Belgian civilians who clandestinely supported the British military?

Regards,

JMB

I did a quick search on "helpers". The two threads below were from the first page of nine pages of results. Some will relate to this topic, and others will not.

Forum pal (Bryan) was gracious enough to share a page from one of the handful of authoritative go-to books on Great War Medals, the Medal Yearbook for 2017, of the 'ALLIED SUBJECTS MEDAL (PRISONERS OF WAR HELPERS)'.  

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/288297-prisoner-of-war-medals-and-related-alternative-letters-of-thanks/

For those that are not in the know, the Medal Yearbook is an excellent resource.

This may be of interest.

There was the <<Dame Blanche>> network of about 1,000 members. I think it was a spy network of civilians, not sure if their activities also foreshadowed that of MI9. A British officer named Henry Landau oversaw the operation, and wrote about it after the war, so hopefully you can locate one of his publications.

Keith,

Thank you for providing those reading references, I’ll see what I can lay my hands on.

Regards,

JMB

If you do a search on the forum for "Dame Blanche" and "Landau", that will bring up other posts on here, of which there do appear to be a fair few.