Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edwin Anderson RAF

Peterhastie

Could someone please clarify this mans service? I have him at 1 Sch of Navigation & Bomb Dropping. It’s the next bit, “Impl Force”, what’s that? It looks like it’s abbreviated, “I.F.” after his visits to 14 Gen, Hosp., and 42 Stat. Hosp. Both of these hospitals appear to have been in France, Wimereux and Amiens respectively, yet there is no mention of his medal entitlement. As he was commisioned, did he have to apply for them, and if he didn't, is that why they don’t appear on his record?

Also “HP Pilot”, Handley Page I assume? Further down it looks like NP Pilot?  

AIR 76/7/144

Screenshot 2022-04-21 171331.png

Edited by Peterhastie

2 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Peter,

I think that I.F. stands for Independant Force, also known as the Indeoedant Air Force. This article may be of interest, and ties in with him being a Handley Page pilot,  https://medium.com/raf-caps/experiences-of-bombing-with-the-independent-force-in-1918-896ca159fcf0

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf McM, I can see "Ind F" now.

His being a pilot of Handley Page bombers ties in with his serving in the Independent Force.  He probably flew Handley Page O/400  bombers.

Hi Peter,

Next to the clip from his Air76 that you have shown above you will find that there is a stamped mark which states " Service Considered for the Grant of War Medals"  this shows that he was entitled to Medals for his time in France.

Whilst with the Independent Force he served with 215 Squadron who were a Night Bomber Squadron that flew the Handley Page 0/400.

His time in hospital is explained by the fact that he was injured by having to make a forced landing on the night of 26th/27th September 1918. He was in HP 0/400 D4568 which had its propeller shot away causing engine failure, the machine was wrecked by the forced landing. His Observer, Lt James Durie, was also injured by the incident.

There are 2 Casualty Cards on the RAF Museum Storyvault Website :- Anderson, E. - RAF Museum Storyvault  &  Anderson, E. (Edwin) - RAF Museum Storyvault

The incident is also given a single line in the appendix of a book by C G & P V Hunt called " Handley Page 0/400 Night Bomber Pilot " ISBN  978-1-7321883-0-3

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2022 at 08:36, hmsk212 said:

Hi Peter,

Next to the clip from his Air76 that you have shown above you will find that there is a stamped mark which states " Service Considered for the Grant of War Medals"  this shows that he was entitled to Medals for his time in France.

Whilst with the Independent Force he served with 215 Squadron who were a Night Bomber Squadron that flew the Handley Page 0/400.

His time in hospital is explained by the fact that he was injured by having to make a forced landing on the night of 26th/27th September 1918. He was in HP 0/400 D4568 which had its propeller shot away causing engine failure, the machine was wrecked by the forced landing. His Observer, Lt James Durie, was also injured by the incident.

There are 2 Casualty Cards on the RAF Museum Storyvault Website :- Anderson, E. - RAF Museum Storyvault  &  Anderson, E. (Edwin) - RAF Museum Storyvault

The incident is also given a single line in the appendix of a book by C G & P V Hunt called " Handley Page 0/400 Night Bomber Pilot " ISBN  978-1-7321883-0-3

Steve

That’s brilliant, thank you.