Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman FREDERICK KOTTMAN - KIA 01/09/1918

Paul Johnson

My Great uncle was killed on the 1st September 1918 whilst in action with the 21st London Regiment (First Surrey Rifles) near Rancourt. He is buried at Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery along with 3 others of his Battalion who were killed on the same day. One of the other casualties is shown on the CWGC website as having been in "D" Company. Given that the Sailly-Saillisel Cemetery is made up from burials brought in from the surrounding area would it be "adventerous" of me to assume that my relative was also in "D" Company?

His Service Records did not survive.

Any views on this please!

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

It would depend on how many others from the battalion died that day; if these are the only graves and the rest are on Vis en Artois, I don't think you could safely assume this. However, if these were the only deaths that day then you might find only one company was in action.

Paul

Just had a look in Soldiers Died and he was one of 20 men killed that day one of which was an officer, so I don't think it's safe to assume that the group your uncle is buried with all came from the same company. Perhaps someone has a copy of the war diary or a battalion history for that date which may shed some light on it

All the best Hambo

Thanks Guys,

It was just a thought. I have a copy of the Divisional History, so must invest in copy of the Battalion War Record (Think I get one from N&MP for about £20).

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON