Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What year did they stop using split pins on Brodie Helmets

arantxa

I’m trying to find out when British Brodie’s went from a split pin for the strap connector to a standard rivet 

Thanks 

Good question. I would have thought some time in the mid/late 1930’s when some MkI’s were rebuilt to MkI* spec which I assume predates manufacture of the MkII. (I own a MkI* and from memory the liner is late 1930’s dated) Hopefully a helmet expert can clarify.

Hi

please excuse my ignorance on the subject what is the difference between those two first helmets you named …I notice on some helmets the original chin strap attachment is changed fir one that looks more aluminium   

In this old thread you can see my MkI* helmet which was overpainted black in WWII for Civil Defence use. It’s basically a circa 1916-18 manufactured MkI helmet shell rebuilt with a new liner and riveted chinstrap attachments.

Arantxa,:

My interest in steel helmets ends with the end of the Great War.  However, I have had a look in Elmetti/Helmets  by Paolo Marzetti and Peregrinvs is correct.  At page 306/7 Marzetti wrote:

"Helmet, Steel Mk1*.  In 1936 and 1937 existing stocks of MkI steel helmets from the Great War were retrofitted with the new lining MkI, chin-strap securing lugs MkI and chin-strap MkI.  The official colours of British army helmets varied over time, rough green paint was used between 1936 and 1938, glazed  grey-green between 1938 and 1939, khaki between 1939 and 1941, and a very dark brown between 1941 and 1944.  A sand colour was used between 1940 and 1944 in the African and Mediterranean theatres". 

I hope the above is of interest.

Regards,

Michael.

Michael that is very interesting thanks and explains a few things...i was at an Antique fair and a chap had lots of helmets for sale for £20 in amongst them was a couple with split pins and a sort of div mark painted on the front..a young lad was looking at them with his mum and sister..i asked him if he was buying one and the mother said he was interested in collecting lilitqay items so i told him split pins meant it was British and probably ww1 so we went through them all and found a nice one for each of us !! it reminded me of myself 45 years ago dragging my mum to these fairs (she later told me that although she had no interest what so ever in military items i was so enthusiastic it rubbed off on her ) Both the helmets have a very old flaked off painted red square on them ...no liner  

1E550145-8AF4-4CFD-A887-B8C71850868E.jpeg.1e81638888917dd60986a20ad863228f.jpeg

On 22/04/2022 at 11:21, Michael Haselgrove said:

"Helmet, Steel Mk1*.  In 1936 and 1937 existing stocks of MkI steel helmets from the Great War were retrofitted with the new lining MkI, chin-strap securing lugs MkI and chin-strap MkI.  The official colours of British army helmets varied over time, rough green paint was used between 1936 and 1938, glazed  grey-green between 1938 and 1939, khaki between 1939 and 1941, and a very dark brown between 1941 and 1944.  A sand colour was used between 1940 and 1944 in the African and Mediterranean theatres". 

I hope the above is of interest.

That is interesting. My MkI* helmet is possibly the favourite in my collection. A real ‘if only it could talk’ piece that hypothetically could have been present at both Passchendaele and Dunkirk.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for bumping into this thread so late on , was just looking for answers.

I was handed down this helmet from my late grandad , he claimed that it was a unissued restamped helmet from WW1. Can anyone help identify this for me as I'm not to knowledgeable on helmets WW1/WW2.

Thanks.

PXL_20230118_192418971.jpg

PXL_20230118_192439045.MP.jpg

PXL_20230118_192444389.jpg

PXL_20230118_192514148.jpg

It’s not a MkI WWI helmet. The 1939 date is when it was manufactured. It’s actually a nice example of an early MkII WWII British helmet painted in smooth Khaki Green No.3 paint.

As discussed above, some WWI helmets were refurbished just before WWII with new liners and chinstraps and these were designated the MkI*. But they didn’t stamp new markings on the helmet shell.

Edited by peregrinvs