Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID location of war cemetery

Genealogist

Good evening to all,

I was recently sent this photo by a fellow genealogist. It was found in a box with zero context. I think I can identify a palm tree beyond the cemetery's walls in the upper right hand of the photo. German war dead based on the inscription of the monument in the center, likely clay bricks for the crosses, unidentified nuns, young chestnut trees, preexisting christian graves in the back. I am having a difficult time identifying the location of this cemetery. Does anyone have a clue and could be of assistance? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. Jonna. 

278821234_1337003763435861_2001236834603020769_n.jpg

Edited by Genealogist
missing info.

Is there any writing on the back?

Jonna,

Welcome to the Forum. Not much help I'm afraid, but to my eye, the women look European and I don't think they're nuns, just wearing sun protection. The site looks like Southern Europe. Balkans?

Acknown

16 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Jonna,

Welcome to the Forum. Not much help I'm afraid, but to my eye, the women look European and I don't think they're nuns, just wearing sun protection. The site looks like Southern Europe. Balkans?

Acknown

I agree that the women in the picture look like they may be from the Balkans.

Unless one or more names on the headstones (and or units/dates of death) could be read, identification may be very difficult unless someone has encountered this specific style of graves etc. I for one, although having seen hundreds or even thousands of German cemetery pictures, don't recognize this cemetery.

Jan

For those interested, the German dead were buried in three areas in the cemetery

Cemetery 1 - communal cemetery

Cemetery 2 (the photo in the initial post) - the Regimental cemetery of RIR 246

Cemetery 3 - the Regimental cemetery of KB 6. IR

Charlie