Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locating 509th (1st London) Field Coy R.E. at Cambrai Nov 1917

timsanders

On 24th November the unit were supporting 6th Division around MARCOING, 'wiring and consolidating the 16th Infantry Brigade front from NINE WOOD to NOYELLES'. 

Owing to heavy shelling of MARCOING no.s 1+4 section had to move to dugouts at the location A34a.5.8 

Can anyone offer any insight into the location of these dugouts from the above co ordinates? Sorry for the rookie question.

It was here, Sgt Wilf Burton (The husband of my great aunt) was wounded; 'struck in the head by a small piece of shrapnel'. 

(By complete accident) I will be staying just a few miles from Fins cemetery, where he is buried. I know little about Cambrai so would love to visit sites of interest while I'm there, esp. the 6th Division's area of operation in Nov 1917. Where would be a good place to start?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim

The map reference for the dugouts is L 34 a 5 8 (see also the entry for 27/11), a squiggle from the word above makes it look like A 34. This map of Marcoring is from the November 1917 War Diary of 6 Div HQ General Staff. Courtesy TNA WO 95/1583 (ancestry p 429/547) and shows the position.

Brian 

6divhqgs.jpg

8 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

The map reference for the dugouts is L 34 a 5 8

The Western Front Association's TrenchMapper has 27 trench maps / aerial mosaics for this location.  The opacity slider reveals the scarring still evident in the modern farmland,  Even if you are not a member, the zoom levels in the public version are more than sufficient to see the location. 

image.png.31bab185f05872dd4b11c31b8ab9fb44.png

10 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Tim

The map reference for the dugouts is L 34 a 5 8 (see also the entry for 27/11), a squiggle from the word above makes it look like A 34. This map of Marcoring is from the November 1917 War Diary of 6 Div HQ General Staff. Courtesy TNA WO 95/1583 (ancestry p 429/547) and shows the position.

Brian 

6divhqgs.jpg

This is great, thank you

2 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

The Western Front Association's TrenchMapper has 27 trench maps / aerial mosaics for this location.  The opacity slider reveals the scarring still evident in the modern farmland,  Even if you are not a member, the zoom levels in the public version are more than sufficient to see the location. 

image.png.31bab185f05872dd4b11c31b8ab9fb44.png

Thank you, this is an excellent resource. I've logged in using my WFA account and will use this during my visit, outstanding!

Hi Tim, as a starting point I would obviously recommend the Deborah museum in Flesquieres , though be sure to check the times before your visit: http://www.amazing-cambrai.com/visit-tank-deborah.html

I would also recommend staying at the Hotel Beatus which is owned and run by Philippe Gorczynski, the historian who discovered and excavated Deborah: http://beatus-cambrai.com/en 

He will be fascinated to hear about your family connection with the battle, and is always delighted to share his extensive knowledge to ensure you get the most out of your visit.

All the best, John

19 minutes ago, johntaylor said:

Hi Tim, as a starting point I would obviously recommend the Deborah museum in Flesquieres , though be sure to check the times before your visit: http://www.amazing-cambrai.com/visit-tank-deborah.html

I would also recommend staying at the Hotel Beatus which is owned and run by Philippe Gorczynski, the historian who discovered and excavated Deborah: http://beatus-cambrai.com/en 

He will be fascinated to hear about your family connection with the battle, and is always delighted to share his extensive knowledge to ensure you get the most out of your visit.

All the best, John

Thanks John.

We're staying near Gouzeaucourt, so will definitely pay The Deborah museum a visit.

This is the location of the dug out where Sgt burton was wounded on 24th November 1917.

image.png.a499399d8eee5610b6404d39dced32c4.pngThe outline of the three trenches, clearly visible today. The right of those is a sunken lane (see below)

image.png.fbf78a9f42fb6a7334887aa1717bdb52.png

Forgive the rookie question but, were these positions part of the briefly captured 2nd line of The Hindenburg Line and could anyone give further insight into this part of the battlefield?

This would fit the war diary on 24th November which describes the 509th Field Coy RE London 'consolidating 16th Brigade positions between Nine Wood and Noyelles (marked pink) then retreating to this dug out when The Germans started shelling Marcoing.

image.png.99829f067e7eb18a656b3bff959975db.png

Edited by timsanders

Tim

Your pointer is at L 34 b 5 8 not L 34 a 5 8. 

Brian

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

Tim

Your pointer is at L 34 b 5 8 not L 34 a 5 8. 

Brian

Yes, quite right, many thanks for your correction - I have amended my post. I'm new to Trench Mapper and the pointer for 57c.L.34.A.5.8 has now reset to the correct position.

image.png