Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Lilac

Guest Riz

while researching my family tree I found a cousin,who served on HMS LILAC, I have found out thanks to janes that she was a flower class mine sweeper,but that is where my naval knowledge ends,c.w.g.c has this info on him,

Name: WARREN, JOHN FREDERICK

> Initials: J F

> Nationality: United Kingdom

> Rank: Armourer's Crew

> Regiment: Royal Navy

> Unit Text: H.M.S. "Lilac."

> Age: 20

> Date of Death: 18/08/1915

> Service No: M/5781

> Additional information: Son of John and Lucy Warren,

> of 46, Shere Rd., Deptford, London.

> Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

> Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 4. 556.

> Cemetery: PETERHEAD OLD CHURCHYARD (WARREN, JOHN

> FREDERICK Armourer's Crew M/5781 Royal Navy

> 18/08/1915 20 D. 4. 556)

can anyone add anything to this?my knowledge of naval matters is extremely limited.so anything to flesh out his story would be much appreciated thank you.

Hello Riz

Your cousin was one of 16 ratings killed when LILAC was mined in the North Sea.

don

thankyou kin47,that is just what I wanted to know,as the ship was sold off after the war so obviously wasnt sunk just wondered what had happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it might be nice to update this thread, as I have found out more about my cousin. I searched the archives of the Kentish Mercury and find this write -up and picture of him.

September 10th 1915

DEPTFORD ARMOURER KILLED - ARMOURER JOHN F WARREN (R.N.)

Warren whose parents live at 48 Shere Road, Deptford was killed by an explosion while serving on a minesweeper. Only 20 years of age he was, previous to joining the navy in February 1913, employed at Messrs Stones Engineering works, Deptford.

(sorry about the quality but it is a copy from the library micro fiche that I had to scan)

post-868-1112376767.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just came upon some more information: Lilac was damaged on a mine laid by the German minelayer (raider) Meteor on the night of August 7/8, 1915. Five other ships were lost in Meteor's minefields in August plus an additional minesweeping sloop was damaged in September.

Best wishes,

Michael

• 11 years later...

I've only just come across this forum, there are so many around.  John Frederick Warren was my Great Uncle although I had never met him.  He was my Gran's twin brother.  Unfortunately I don't have any additional information on him as my father has also passed and so there isn't many people in the family who would know anything.

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone, I have only just come across this forum.  John Frederick Warren was my Great Uncle, my Gran's twin brother although I never met him myself as I was born in '62.

I just noticed the post above which may have been me...I can't remember.

Edited by Phil Terry

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/04/2005 at 18:34, Guest Riz said:

I thought it might be nice to update this thread, as I have found out more about my cousin. I searched the archives of the Kentish Mercury and find this write -up and picture of him.

September 10th 1915

DEPTFORD ARMOURER KILLED - ARMOURER JOHN F WARREN (R.N.)

Warren whose parents live at 48 Shere Road, Deptford was killed by an explosion while serving on a minesweeper. Only 20 years of age he was, previous to joining the navy in February 1913, employed at Messrs Stones Engineering works, Deptford.

(sorry about the quality but it is a copy from the library micro fiche that I had to scan)

post-868-1112376767.jpg

Hi Riz

Here is a better quality from the original paper the Kentish Mercury.IMG_0032Warren-Copy10Sept1915.JPG.d7fbf78b87c073face1f2c9654db9942.JPG

Just now, Phil Terry said:

Hi Riz

Here is a better quality from the original paper the Kentish Mercury.IMG_0032Warren-Copy10Sept1915.JPG.d7fbf78b87c073face1f2c9654db9942.JPG

And here is one of Percival, his brother.IMG_0125Warren-Copy12Nov1915.JPG.811bab4a011e3714da64cc0b340e1e99.JPG

• Admin

Riz is no longer a member of the forum, as denoted by Guest. We won’t hold any contact information for them.

Thanks for letting me know Michelle

1 hour ago, Phil Terry said:

Hi Riz

And here is one of Percival, his brother.IMG_0125Warren-Copy12Nov1915.JPG.811bab4a011e3714da64cc0b340e1e99.JPG