Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte A Colquhoun 308011 9th Tank Corps DOW 27/8/18 action ?


wulsten
 Share

Recommended Posts

Long shot, however Pte Archibald Colquhoun 308011 9th Battalion Tank Corps died of wounds 27th August 1918 buried Ligny-st Flochel British Cemetery, believe at this point No1 CCS based there August 1918, im aware the battalion were engaged during later part of August primarily around 23rd August -26th August, trying to find which action or company he may have been attached and if timescale fit with admission to the CCS some distance west of Arras ???, any help locating any info on admittance to CCS etc or time frames appreciated

Edited by wulsten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • wulsten changed the title to Pte A Colquhoun 308011 9th Tank Corps DOW 27/8/18 action ? wounded/admitted CCS

I've taken a look at the CCS situation.

#1 moved to Ligny 25/8/18 and shut down 6/9/18. They report 4 deaths 27/8/18. They were moved here by the DMS 1st Army to assist with an attack by the Canadian Corps.

The Canadian DDMS mentions their Main Dressing Station in Arras and convoys of ambulances & lorries evacuating wounded to CCS. There is a defined link between Arras & the CCS group at Ligny.

Not sure if other British Corps were involved in this action or how the Tank Corps fit in.

#7CCS was also there and reported 15 deaths.

#33CCS also there, 2 deaths.

TEW

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tew, many thanks for the reply in particular the ccs information very much appreciated, I tried to check if any other 9 battalion soldiers died of wounds after the action but unclear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Grave Registration Report Form on the cwgc suggests Archibald Colquhoun was in B Company of 9th Battalion - His regiment is described as 9/B.Tank Corps.

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dgibson150 said:

The Grave Registration Report Form on the cwgc suggests Archibald Colquhoun was in B Company of 9th Battalion - His regiment is described as 9/B.Tank Corps.

David

Thanks David, that suggests the possibility of two actions then during August, the 23rd or 26th

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/04/2022 at 10:30, TEW said:

I've taken a look at the CCS situation.

#1 moved to Ligny 25/8/18 and shut down 6/9/18. They report 4 deaths 27/8/18. They were moved here by the DMS 1st Army to assist with an attack by the Canadian Corps.

The Canadian DDMS mentions their Main Dressing Station in Arras and convoys of ambulances & lorries evacuating wounded to CCS. There is a defined link between Arras & the CCS group at Ligny.

Not sure if other British Corps were involved in this action or how the Tank Corps fit in.

#7CCS was also there and reported 15 deaths.

#33CCS also there, 2 deaths.

TEW

 

Looking at 1 ccs war diary they had there first cases on the 26th August after their move to Ligny and as you pointed out 4 death's on the 27th Colquhoun would be no doubt one of the four, 9 battalion Tank corps was operational on the 26th supporting  the Canadian attack towards monchy and guemappe, so does seem to fit ???, any other input appreciated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's usually difficult to say with certainty which CCS a man was admitted to. There was a group of CCSs at Ligny all using the same cemetery.

Usually they worked in rotation by admitting wounded to full capacity then shut down while another opened having evacuated its wounded back to base, and so on.

Can't recall the details but I think the three CCS diaries give total admissions for 26th/27th, 7CCS had 15 deaths and may well have had more admissions.

TEW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TEW said:

It's usually difficult to say with certainty which CCS a man was admitted to. There was a group of CCSs at Ligny all using the same cemetery.

Usually they worked in rotation by admitting wounded to full capacity then shut down while another opened having evacuated its wounded back to base, and so on.

Can't recall the details but I think the three CCS diaries give total admissions for 26th/27th, 7CCS had 15 deaths and may well have had more admissions.

 

Got it now, yes 7th, 33rd and finally 1st ccs operating there until November 1918.  I also noted that a Stanley  william Osborne 201614 of the 9th battalion tank corps died of wounds on the previous day 26 August buried Augbigny comm cem, 57th ccs there at time with Canadian input and on the same road as ligny from Arras 

Edited by wulsten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • wulsten changed the title to Pte A Colquhoun 308011 9th Tank Corps DOW 27/8/18 action ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...