Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miss Nell Davidge

Neil Wilson

I recently bought a postcard of a local village church. It was postmarked 29th Dec 1917 in North Somercoates, Lincolnshire. It was sent from a soldier to his sweetheart or sister telling her he thought he was being moved to Ripon the following day but that he would write a letter. He said he had been marked 01 00? Her name was Miss Nell Davidge. Address; 170 Lansdowne Rd, Hackney London. North Somercoates was a holding camp, I believe, because of its close proximity to Grimsby. The soldiers name is not decipherable. It would be nice to know who he was and whether he survived the war?

Edited by Neil Wilson

14 minutes ago, Neil Wilson said:

Miss Nell Davidge

Welcome to GWF.

'Nell' is a familiar name for Eleanor, Ellen or Helen - You may need to widen your name search.

M

1 minute ago, alf mcm said:

This is Nellie in the 1911 Census, at the same address.

Sorry Alf, can't see that record.

What age?  Approx DoB?

M

11 minutes ago, Neil Wilson said:

Unfortunately I do not subscribe to Ancestry so can’t view the census or family tree

Did Nell have any brothers ?

There are a couple of Ellen DAVIDGE in the 1921 Census [at Find My Past] that might perhaps be of interest ... 

Ellen Davidge. Born: 1864, London, London, England, Parish: Hackney Regstration district: Hackney  County: London, Middlesex

Ellen Davidge Born: 1889, Notting Hill, London, England, Paddington, Paddington,  London, Middlesex

I can't see the actual images or read the transcriptions = ???

I've also looked for Eleanor, Helen and Nell but nothing really leapt out for me.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add a second ellen

38 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Nellie is 21 yrs, so b. 1890; 7 younger siblings; dr. of Charles & Ellen; 

Brothers: Charles, 17; Edward, 16; Herbert, 14

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add info.

12 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Nellie is 21 yrs, so b. 1890

That might perhaps make the second Ellen, b.1889 [just recently posted/added] above from 1921 Census a possibility = Perhaps! ???

Perhaps this one might be even better ??

Nellie Davidge 1889 London, London, England Hackney Hackney London, Middlesex - Nellie, Charles, Ellen and 6 others are on this record [Looking quite promising now thanks to the extra details just edited/added in the post above]

Still can't see/read the details.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
added a further 1921 Census possibility

11 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Nellie is 21 yrs, so b. 1890; 7 younger siblings; dr. of Charles & Ellen; 

Brothers: Charles, 17; Edward, 16; Herbert, 14

Regards,

JMB

The signature could be Eddy but it is so faint, Edward would have been 22 in 1917. Could be if he was writing to his sister?

4 minutes ago, Neil Wilson said:

The signature could be Eddy but it is so faint,

I'm told the trick that sometimes works is to scan and then reverse the colours/BW [making it like a BW negative] - may perhaps help viewing ??

M

Edited by Matlock1418

GOT HIM! = Edward DAVIDGE, Sherwood Foresters 5950, 242186 [Notts & Derby Regt] and later Labour Corps 642845

638976697_DAVIDGEE5950242186646845.png.0733f3c2b4cc521caa50f02727905c15.pngImage courtesy of WFA/Fold 3

Starling & Lee's "No Labour, No Battle" [a history of the LC] suggests his 646845 number was issues approximately July - Sept. 1918

8/3 pw pension is indicative of a 20% 30% disability at the point he was transferred to the Labour Corps Class Z Army Reserve, 25.2.19 [quite likely his effective demobilisation as the AR was disbanded in Aug 1920]. 

Such pensions were often only temporary whilst a man [hopefully] recovered further - unfortunately his pension file is likely to have been destroyed after its use was ended so we cannot see exactly how it played out [I could not find his file amongs the very few 'PIN 26' retained files at TNA]

The DEAD typically indicates the claim was Dead - not necessarily the man.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
corrrection of second SF [N&D] number, Later = 30%

19 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

GOT HIM! = Edward DAVIDGE, Sherwood Foresters 5950, 2422186 [Notts & Derby Regt] and Labour Corps 642845

638976697_DAVIDGEE5950242186646845.png.0733f3c2b4cc521caa50f02727905c15.pngImage courtesy of WFA/Fold 3

8/3 pw pension is indicative of a 20% disability.

The DEAD typically indicates the claim was Dead - not necessarily the man.

M

Very much a novice at this type of research. What is this record? I’m sure this is my post card sender, would like to discover if he has any relatives that might be interested in the postcard?

14 minutes ago, Neil Wilson said:

What is this record?

It is a Pension Index Card [at WFA/Fold3] used by the Ministry of Pensions to help administer Disability Pension claims.

Would have been linked to Pension Ledgers and Pension Files using the 11/M/311627 reference. [Region 11 was London & SE England area]

The main MoP file will be long lost but if you are very lucky there may be some other pension notes left as a reconstructed Service Record [there may perhaps even be a 'burnt' SR - but most of these were lost by bombing & fire in WW2] - Both potentially now available via Ancestry or Find My Past. [I don't have access]. I hope you are lucky.

I have just added a quick note above as to when his LC number was likely to have been issued and corrected my transcription his second SF {N&D] number = so worth a look above again.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

It is a Pension Index Card [at WFA/Fold3] used by the Ministry of Pensions to help administer Disability Pension claims.

Would have been linked to Pension Ledgers and Pension Files using the 11/M/311627 reference. [Region 11 was London & SE England area]

The main MoP file will be long lost but if you are very lucky there may be some other pension notes left as a reconstructed Service Record [there may perhaps even be a 'burnt' SR - but most of these were lost by bombing & fire in WW2] - Both potentially now available via Ancestry or Find My Past. [I don't have access]. I hope you are lucky.

I have just added a quick note above as to when his LC number was likely to have been issued = worth a look above again.

M

Thank you so much for your research, so interesting! I wonder if he ever got to Ripon as he suggested to his sister Nell or headed straight to France, I suspect the latter. So glad he survived the war. I’ve looked up 170 Landsdowne Rd and it is a very grand house!

Edward DAVIDGE, Sherwood Foresters 5950, 242186 {Notts & Derby Regiment]

This is his MIC - Shows a British War Medal and a Victory Medal [as no Theatre of War or date recorded indicates he went to a ToW after 31/12/1915]

1390947284_DAVIDGEE5950646845.png.08b1a74a9f25f3be856c6315657c63ad.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

His second SF [N&D] number is not shown - though it is not my field really/not at all [!] it might perhaps be indicative of a Territoral Force renumbering that took place in 1917 [?]

Other GWF members may very well be able to help you more with this - perhaps @kenf48 ??

You may find more details, such as his battalion(s), on the associated LC Medal Roll [indicated on the MIC] - Typically found at Ancestry.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
member mention

Hello Neil,

Sorry I didn't reply to you, I was called away after my last post, and have only now got back to my computer. Fortunately others have helped and got a good result.

Regards,

Alf McM

7 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Hello Neil,

Sorry I didn't reply to you, I was called away after my last post, and have only now got back to my computer. Fortunately others have helped and got a good result.

Regards,

Alf McM

No worries Alf. What an amazing forum, so much knowledge and so helpful! 

11 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Edward DAVIDGE, Sherwood Foresters 5950, 242186 {Notts & Derby Regiment]

This is his MIC - Shows a British War Medal and a Victory Medal [as no Theatre of War or date recorded indicates he went to a ToW after 31/12/1915]

1390947284_DAVIDGEE5950646845.png.08b1a74a9f25f3be856c6315657c63ad.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

His second SF [N&D] number is not shown - though it is not my field really/not at all [!] it might perhaps be indicative of a Territoral Force renumbering that took place in 1917 [?]

Other GWF members may very well be able to help you more with this - perhaps @kenf48 ??

You may find more details, such as his battalion(s), on the associated LC Medal Roll [indicated on the MIC] - Typically found at Ancestry.

M

Thank you again Matlock

His transfer to the LC is quite likely to have been due to a downgrade in his fitness - perhaps due to wounding or just due to the rigours of service life in a ToW.

I hope you/others can find out for you more about his service.

If you can't find a SR other members often suggest looking at close servce numbers to see if there are SR and if there is a possibile similarity to be learnt.  Most likely to help for his earlier service with the SF [N&D] I think, but who knows? [sorry I can't help you more with this]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
tired fingers/tired brain!

45 minutes ago, Neil Wilson said:

I’m sure this is my post card sender, would like to discover if he has any relatives that might be interested in the postcard?

Got to admit that now I would like to see it too - front and reverse please.

Hope you can post scans on here for us all to enjoy [I reckon we've earned it!!! :whistle:]

Please ... in hope ...

M

Edited by Matlock1418

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Got to admit that now I would like to see it too - front and reverse please.

Hope you can post scans on here for us all to enjoy [I reckon we've earned it!!! :whistle:]

Please ... in hope ...

M

You certainly have! I photograph both sides tomorrow in daylight and list. 

• Admin

The 242186 number was allocated to the 6th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) on the renumbering of the Territorial Force in March 1917.

5955/242191 was called up for service on 7 October 1916.  A Londoner he was a Derby Scheme recruit, he attested in December 1915.

5900 also a Londoner, and Derby Recruit posted to the 2/6 6 October 1916

Both men went with the main body of the 2/6 to France in February 1917

Also found in the surviving records indexed under the six digit numbers:-

5917/242153 7 October (Stepney) 

5963/242199 9 October (Kent)

So it appears we have a group of men either in a lower medical category on enlistment, or aged 18 (and therefore not eligible for active service overseas) posted, in the case of the Londoners from the Recruiting Office Whitehall to the 2/6 Battalion Sherwood Foresters in the first two weeks of October 1916. This was a second line Battalion of the Territorial Force and in October 1916 was engaged in Home Defence.

See https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/sherwood-foresters-nottinghamshire-derbyshire-regiment/

The LC Roll unfortunately does not show previous Battalions, nor does it show interim numbers. The medals were named to the first unit he served with in a theatre of war and their issue administered by his last unit.  As far as the LC Rolls are concerned anything in between was irrelevant to that administrative function.

This means 5950 is the number, and Notts and Derby the Regiment, impressed on his medals as these details were those held when he first entered a theatre of war, it is therefore a fair assumption that he too was with the main body of the 2/6 landing in France in February 1917, prior to the renumbering of the men in the Battalion  with the six digit number.

I’m not seeing him on a casualty list but if he was repatriated due to sickness/injury e.g. hernia he would not be listed.

I suspect the remark transcribed as “01 00” is reference to a downgrading of his medical category, perhaps “B 11” (?) (Garrison Duty or Line of Communication) See https://eehe.org.uk/?p=25030

Ripon was a holding camp and could accommodate 30,000 soldiers. It was also a major training centre he may have been attached there before being posted to the Labour Corps, or he may have been posted to another Home Service Battalion of the Notts an Derby before his transfer, without a service record impossible to account for that period.

6 hours ago, kenf48 said:

The 242186 number was allocated to the 6th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) on the renumbering of the Territorial Force in March 1917.

5955/242191 was called up for service on 7 October 1916.  A Londoner he was a Derby Scheme recruit, he attested in December 1915.

5900 also a Londoner, and Derby Recruit posted to the 2/6 6 October 1916

Both men went with the main body of the 2/6 to France in February 1917

Also found in the surviving records indexed under the six digit numbers:-

5917/242153 7 October (Stepney) 

5963/242199 9 October (Kent)

So it appears we have a group of men either in a lower medical category on enlistment, or aged 18 (and therefore not eligible for active service overseas) posted, in the case of the Londoners from the Recruiting Office Whitehall to the 2/6 Battalion Sherwood Foresters in the first two weeks of October 1916. This was a second line Battalion of the Territorial Force and in October 1916 was engaged in Home Defence.

See https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/sherwood-foresters-nottinghamshire-derbyshire-regiment/

The LC Roll unfortunately does not show previous Battalions, nor does it show interim numbers. The medals were named to the first unit he served with in a theatre of war and their issue administered by his last unit.  As far as the LC Rolls are concerned anything in between was irrelevant to that administrative function.

This means 5950 is the number, and Notts and Derby the Regiment, impressed on his medals as these details were those held when he first entered a theatre of war, it is therefore a fair assumption that he too was with the main body of the 2/6 landing in France in February 1917, prior to the renumbering of the men in the Battalion  with the six digit number.

I’m not seeing him on a casualty list but if he was repatriated due to sickness/injury e.g. hernia he would not be listed.

I suspect the remark transcribed as “01 00” is reference to a downgrading of his medical category, perhaps “B 11” (?) (Garrison Duty or Line of Communication) See https://eehe.org.uk/?p=25030

Ripon was a holding camp and could accommodate 30,000 soldiers. It was also a major training centre he may have been attached there before being posted to the Labour Corps, or he may have been posted to another Home Service Battalion of the Notts an Derby before his transfer, without a service record impossible to account for that period.

Thanks Ken, another fantastic job.

Great you could determine his first number as as 6th Bn SF [N&D] with a1915 recruitment likely.

I'd forgotten the LC MR didn't have the interim numbers so great that you could determine his second N&D TF renumbering as had seemed probable

Had also considered the CL [but don't have access - ?possiby National Library of Scotland??] but you seem to have trawled and sickness/injury certainly reasons why he might not appear anyway.

Considered Rippon for LC [Northern Command Labour Centre] but we have Dec 1917 off the postcard so perhaps seems a bit early/before his LC number issue mid-1918 ??

I have checked the London Gazette under all his three numbers but couldn't see sign of any award(s).

I suppose it might be worth the OP [That's you Neil - a Original Poster] having a look in local newspapers to see if Edward Davdige got any press but have to admit that as well as me not having access I do wonder if such London newspapers might be a bit challenging to find for the Hackney area [think I heard from another GWF member that - but as is fairly usual I cannot find my reference].  I suppose it is just possible there might be a photo there but the odds usually do seem against if if nothing too 'memorable' happened in his service, though of course sometimes letters back from the front etc. to family were printed - so don't give up just yet Neil!

Looking forward to seeing the postcard that started off this thread.

M