Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian or British uniforms?

Skipman

The soldier seated on the left is Pte Thomas Bayne DCM of the 56th Battalion AIF. The identity of the other two soldiers is not known. Are the other two Australian or British. If they were British uniforms, there's an outside chance they were his brothers (but do not see a resemblance)

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2073027

Cheers Mike

Both the other men are wearing British uniforms. There's nothing to further ID the standing man, yet I have a wild fancy - there's only a glimpse to go on - the one on the right is wearing Tank Corps insignia, if that fits.

Cheers,

GT.

the other two soldiers are in British service dress

1 minute ago, Grovetown said:

Both the other men are wearing British uniforms. There's nothing to further ID the standing man, yet I have a wild fancy - there's only a glimpse to go on - the one on the right is wearing Tank Corps insignia, if that fits.

Cheers,

GT.

Excellent, the Tank Corps does indeed fit, his brother Alex, and he was wounded at least once.

Thanks too for the confirmation Jerry B

Mike

Not that it appears to be the case here, but always worth remembering that British SD was variously issued to troops of other nationalities such as the Canadians and Australians when their own versions weren't available. For example, this well known image from Gallipoli shows the Australian 7th Battalion soldier viewers left doing just this, whilst the other two men are wearing the Australian version:

Lone Pine trench 6 August 1915 - Australian Army during World War I - Wikipedia

A black and white photograph of men wearing military uniforms in a trench. One man stands on a parapet looking away to the left, while others behind him stare into the camera

For what it's worth, I do see a family resemblance, at least in the eyes. Is that an MM on the left-hand soldier?

Acknown

1 hour ago, Acknown said:

...Is that an MM on the left-hand soldier?

That's Thomas Paynes DCM:

File:Distinguished Conduct Medal - George V v1.jpg - Wikipedia

Edited by Andrew Upton

So it is. I wasn't thinking ....

Acknown

• 9 months later...

Thomas Bayne, Henry Bayne, Alec Bayne

Thomas in Australia force and Henry and Alec in British uniforms. My grandfather is Henry Bayne.

can anyone tell me about grandfather Henry Bayne?

On 07/04/2022 at 21:19, Skipman said:

The soldier seated on the left is Pte Thomas Bayne DCM of the 56th Battalion AIF. The identity of the other two soldiers is not known. Are the other two Australian or British. If they were British uniforms, there's an outside chance they were his brothers (but do not see a resemblance)

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2073027

Cheers Mike

Just now, Bayne gail said:

The photo shows 3 brothers. Thomas on the left in the Australian forces, James in the middle in the British army and Alec on the right in the British army. 
My grandfather is James Bayne - can anyone tell me about his army career?