Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/1st Warwick battery RHA

Keiron

I have recently found out that a relative Basil Miles 216653 served in this battery as a gunner,he died of his wounds on 31st August 1918,I am trying to find out anything I can about the battery 

Edited by Keiron
Didn't add his name

• Keiron changed the title to 2/1st Warwick battery RHA
1 hour ago, Keiron said:

I have recently found out that a relative Basil Miles 216653 served in this battery as a gunner,he died of his wounds on 31st August 1918,I am trying to find out anything I can about the battery 

Hello Keiron. Welcome to the forum. There is a very useful thread on the 2/1st (Warwick) Battery, RHA as attached. The War Diary for the battery can be found by searching WO 95/203/6 (use gap after WO) at the National Archives discovery which is free to download once you register. The diary will give you a good idea of the movements and actions of the unit and does cover the 31st August 1918. I would attach the link but for some reason I am unable to copy it from the NA.

Edited by Gunner 87

In addition to the above I thought you might also be interested in this painting I purchased a few years ago. 

The piece features the artists Grandfather, Driver Thomas Hopkins, who served with the 2/1st (Warwick) Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.

On the 25th November 1917 Gunner Hopkins and his team, in the Somme area at the time, were sent to retrieve guns from a forward position. Leaving at first light they were spotted and subject to artillery fire which was initially though to contain duds though soon realised the shells were gas. Orders were ‘Put masks on the horses first’ and as Thomas road the mount nearest the guns had a long way either past the lead two or back behind the gun and limber to reach the horses on the right. Thomas was hospitalised as a result of the gas attack and sadly never saw or knew what happened to his two horses ‘Tommy and Trooper’.

8C2AE27E-2DAC-48E7-ADFC-54317F74DAB9.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

His effects record indicates he died at No 10 Field Ambulance. The gratuity if my limited knowledge is correct suggests service from very early 1917.

Edited by Mark1959

His service number suggests being called up and sent to No. 8 (T.F.) Artillery Training School at Bulford around February 22, 1917

20 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

In addition to the above I thought you might also be interested in this painting I purchased a few years ago. 

The piece features the artists Grandfather, Driver Thomas Hopkins, who served with the 2/1st (Warwick) Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.

On the 25th November 1917 Gunner Hopkins and his team, in the Somme area at the time, were sent to retrieve guns from a forward position. Leaving at first light they were spotted and subject to artillery fire which was initially though to contain duds though soon realised the shells were gas. Orders were ‘Put masks on the horses first’ and as Thomas road the mount nearest the guns had a long way either past the lead two or back behind the gun and limber to reach the horses on the right. Thomas was hospitalised as a result of the gas attack and sadly never saw or knew what happened to his two horses ‘Tommy and Trooper’.

8C2AE27E-2DAC-48E7-ADFC-54317F74DAB9.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...