Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Appendicitis / Myalgia / abbreviations and questions

Lhollo

Hello! I’ve been puzzling over my grandfather’s medical notes, again. 

He was an RAMC stretcher bearer. We knew he had appendicitis—almost misdiagnosed—and was treated for it in France. His records then show that he was  then treated in the UK. He was first in Warrington, for 84 days, then discharged. Ten days later he was admitted to a hospital in Ireland, Ballykinlar, and was being treated for Myalgia as well as appendicitis. I’m aware that Myalgia might mean many things, although it most often referred to trench fever, from lice. So it seems strange that it first appears here on his records, months after he arrived at a UK hospital. 

There are other things I don’t understand, though. There are initials or a word before the ‘Old appendicitis’ in the top, Warrington entry. 

Then there is ‘OP’ next to the second, Ballykinlar entry. I presumed this was an abbreviation for ‘operation’ but… does this mean he had a second operation? I haven’t previously considered this. Does it mean something else?

I’ll be grateful for any insights or ideas you might have!

C5E43626-B84F-4BBB-B77A-857A3D3A5A18.png

0B6F4386-98E8-4C9E-AE2E-2B0E4A3B03EA.png

6 minutes ago, Lhollo said:

There are other things I don’t understand, though. There are initials or a word before the ‘Old appendicitis’ in the top, Warrington entry. 

"ICT of Old Appendicitis" - where ICT means Inflammation of Connective Tissue. Whether that is the scar tissue in this case I don't know, but could also be indicative of a post-operative infection.

A second operation might have been required to clean out the wound, while one of the consequences on infection - and I'm guessing - might have been inflammed back muscles leading to myalgia. If there were issues with the way the original operation was performed it could also have led from the outset to muscle damage. Given the length of time he was in hospital originally he also may not have been kept active enough.

Hope that helps,
Peter

1 hour ago, Lhollo said:

I’m aware that Myalgia might mean many things, although it most often referred to trench fever, from lice. So it seems strange that it first appears here on his records, months after he arrived at a UK hospital. 

Looks to me rather like it possibly was post-operative Myalgia for your GF.

But plenty of Myalgia here in the UK [and for HS only too]

Muscular aches & pains - IMHO quite common for men sleeping, patrolling and generally living outdoors, even in the UK. 

Especially for those getting on a bit, e.g. 30+!!  HS patrolling the Essex marshes seems to have done for at least one man I have researched [he was in his mid-40s]

I can attest to the fact that after a long stay in hospital post an Appendicitis OP it can take months to restore your muscular health. Also after the OP you can get an infection that requires the site of the Op to be drained of pus.

Bob

Quite common then to develop later an appendix abscess that would require surgical drainage. And then for a drain tube to remain in situ for several weeks until the pus and fluid stopped draining.