Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returned medals.

Cameron2165

Whilst looking through Ancestry I came across this on the rear of a MIC. I'm not sure how common this was. I assume it was done in protest at how things were in 1920. Sad to think he returned his MM.

30850_A000424-02447.jpg

No particular knowledge, but this Daily Telegraph article dated 29 Apr 10: 'Family of WW1 soldier reunited with medal he threw away', states:

"Apparently it was quite common for soldiers to throw their medals away at the time because they were so sickened by what they saw," he said. "I felt quite emotional giving the medal to the family as I had become rather attached to it, but I am over the moon that it's now back with them."

I suspect that there were many reasons that men returned their medals: sickened by the war and wanted to forget it, protest at post-war treatment, and so on.

Veterans of 20th and 21st century conflicts continue to return their medals in protest, as a search of online articles will relate.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

Acknown, 

Yes, you are correct. I remember recently some NI veterans were throwing their medals into Downing St. As an ex soldier it seems a sad thing to do. I wont be throwing my medals away for any reason. 

Cam

1 hour ago, RedCoat said:

My grandfather returned his Second World War medals due to a dispute over his pension.

Did you get them back? My Grandad only applied for his medals in the 80s as I asked him to.

On 07/04/2022 at 13:11, Cameron2165 said:

Acknown, 

Yes, you are correct. I remember recently some NI veterans were throwing their medals into Downing St. As an ex soldier it seems a sad thing to do. I wont be throwing my medals away for any reason. 

Cam

I can understand the anger that NI veterans feel over our shabby treatment at the hands of successive governments, but our GSM was hard earned and I could never contemplate discarding mine just to make some kind of political protest. Our war didn't even merit its own campaign medal.

Cheers,

Steve

11 hours ago, Stevie said:

I can understand the anger that NI veterans feel over our shabby treatment at the hands of successive governments, but our GSM was hard earned and I could never contemplate discarding mine just to make some kind of political protest. Our war didn't even merit its own campaign medal.

Cheers,

Steve

Very true Stevie, I'm proud to have a GSM (NI) as one of mine. Great profile pic as well.

On 11/04/2022 at 08:30, Cameron2165 said:

Very true Stevie, I'm proud to have a GSM (NI) as one of mine. Great profile pic as well.

Thanks for the comments. The picture was taken in New Lodge around August 1974. My GSM was (hard) earned in Andersonstown between November 1971 and March 1972 when we had over 400 shootings and bombings in the four months period. I see no logic in returning medals just to make some kind of political statement, it will never change anything - and the recipient ends up with nothing to show for his military service.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Stevie

Good thread here previously if anyone is interested.