Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembered on GWF

Terry Denham

Until the full 'Remembering Today' feature returns I will post the names of the men who would have been featured.....

Today's man is..

2/Lt William John LIDSEY

16 Sqdn, Royal Flying Corps

who died aged 21 on 22.03.17

Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension, France

William John Lidsey originally 4th batt Ox & Bucks Light Infantry (Territorial) Died of Wounds.

Name: LIDSEY, WILLIAM JOHN

Initials: W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 16th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Secondary Unit Text: and 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 22/03/1917

Additional information: Son of William Isaac Richard and Emily Crosier Lidsey, of Banbury.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. A. 38.

Cemetery: AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

No. 16 Squadron was formed from elements of Nos. 2, 5 and 6 Squadrons at St Omer, France, on 10 February 1915. The unit flew more than its fair share of types including Voisins, BE2As, Bs, and Shorthorns, using them to pioneer the use of wireless to report enemy troop movements during the Battle of Abuers Ridge in May 1915. During 1916, the Squadron standardised on the BE2C. During the Battle of Vimy Ridge, the Squadron formed an association with the Canadian Corps that lasted until the Armistice. Along with so many other RAF Squadrons, No. 16 was disbanded in 1919.

Remembered Today

Roop

Terry/Roop

2Lt W J Lidsey was flying as the observer in BE 2f A3154 of No 16 Sqn RFC, flown by Flt Sgt Sidney Herbert Quicke (No 711) on an artillery observation mission on 21 March 1917 when the aeroplane was shot down in aerial combat. A victory was credited to Ltn Manfred von Richthofen of Jasta 11; it was the 29th of von Richthofen's eventual 80 victories.

Flt Sgt Quicke was killed in the fight, while 2Lt Lidsey died of his wounds the next day.

Gareth

It really seems to be deja vu with this feature at the moment!

I actually have this man's WW1 diaries. He started the war as a Private in the 1/4th Oxs & Bucks, and served with them 1915-16 on the Western Front, taking part in the fighting at Pozieres. He was then commissioned in the battalion, and transferred to the RFC during the winter of 1916/17. He flew as an observer, and his Squadron was assisting the Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery for their bombardment of Vimy Ridge. He was indeed killed by the Red Baron, but he actually engaged the Baron in combat about a week before, surviving that time.

He appears in Under The Guns of the Red Baron, where there is an extract from the diary.

Paul

You must have been exerting undue telpathic influence over me when I made the last few days' random selections!

You do seem to have had an uncanny connection with a couple of them. :D

"Lieutenant W.J.Lidsey aged 21 was the eldest son of Councillor William Lidsey of Banbury and joined the Oxford and Bucks L.I on the outbreak of war,and was given his commission while serving in France in February 1916,transferring to the R.F.C. in November 1916. He was educated at Magdalen College School Brackley. He was wounded in an aerial combat on March 21st 1917 and died the following day."

Taken from Royal Flying Corps. Casualties and Honours during the War of 1914-17 published August 1917

Regards Doug.