Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Household Battalion

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

Does anyone know if there has been a history of the Household Battalion written at any time, please?

I have looked at Chris' site, but I'm looking for more (aren't we all B)) on their history etc.

SDGW cd states that they suffered 19 Officer & 428 OR casualties in their short history.

Lee,

A chap called John Harvey, of Lincolnshire, presents a talk for WFA branches concerning his father's service with this unit. I'll find his contact details if you want them.

Guest Hill 60

Kate - Thanks, I'd be grateful if you could get me his details. Are you going to the MK Branch meeting this Friday? If so, I'll see you then :)

Dave - Thanks mate, I'll have a look.

Hi Lee,

Sorry, we won't be seeing you on Friday. Although Martin is out of hospital, he is still a bit restricted in his movements (he has only recently managed to lift a glass of beer!!) so he is not well enough to go to Milton Keynes; but there again that applies to most of us, doesn't it..?

Guest Hill 60
Martin is out of hospital, he is still a bit restricted in his movements (he has only recently managed to lift a glass of beer!!) so he is not well enough to go to Milton Keynes; but there again that applies to most of us, doesn't it..?

Only just managed to lift a glass of beer :o poor boy!

Anyone visiting MK must be sick :P, that's why I now live in Wolverton!

The 'Town of the Train' sounds better than the 'City of the Concrete Cows'!

...and "the train now leaving Milton Keynes" sounds better still...

If you are looking for details of someone in particular in the HH Bttn I can post details of their archivist when I return to work tomorrow morning.

I was interested in two fatalities and although he was very helpful (I think his name was Chris) I dont think he was able to tell me anything I hadnt found from other sources ie local obituaries, usual PRO records, Soldiers Died, CWGC etc.

Guest Hill 60
...and "the train now leaving Milton Keynes" sounds better still...

The City ( :lol:) of Milton Keynes has a few things going for it:

1. It actually has a war memorial (of sorts). It's the Memorable Order of Tin Hats memorial on North Row, it hasn't got any names on it of course.

2. You can leave it!

3. It has some lovely parkland, i.e. Campbell Park.

4. It's easy to get assaulted here (18 times is my tally so far :ph34r:)

And since Martin cannot run away at present, it is no place for him.

Out of interest, does Milton Keynes have a war memorial? - no silly!! the real one. The hamlet mentioned in the Doomsday Book.

Guest Hill 60
If you are looking for details of someone in particular in the HH Bttn I can post details of their archivist when I return to work tomorrow morning.

Signals - Yes please mate, that'll be handy.

I'm trying to find info on:

1952 Trooper W. McKerrow.

Guest Hill 60
Out of interest, does Milton Keynes have a war memorial - no silly!! the real one. The hamlet mentioned in the Doomsday Book?

Kate - I believe it has. I'll take a trip out that way soon and see if I can get a photo of it, assuming there is one there and it hasn't been nicked!

Lee

Take a look on this thread after about 9:30 am tomorrow and I will have name and phone number for you.

Lee

When I contacted the Household Cavalry about 8 months ago the archivist I spoke to was Chris Hughes. The phone no. was 01753 755112 and I think this was a direct line. The address is c/o Household Cavalry Museum, Combermere Barracks, Windsor, Berks SL4 3DN. Any problem with these contact details and they do have a website.

I gave him service no., name etc and he phoned me back within a couple of hours and gave me the type of information you would expect to see on an attestation form. I know the Guards kept copies of their attestation papers so possibly the Household Cavalry did the same, and of course including those in the Household Battalion.

As I said in yesterday's post, when I spoke to him he couldnt have been more helpful.

I hope the above helps.

Gerald Harvey, brother of John has been writing a book about the Household Battalion. The title is "The Forgotten Battalion". It will published privately in the near future.

Walter