Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed on this Black Watch Badge

Cesare

Both are correct for WW1, yes.

In 1934 the top and bottom scrolls were reversed (i.e. so that ‘Black Watch’ took precedence at the top of the badge).

Edited by FROGSMILE

In 1934 The Black Watch changed its subtitle from The Royal Highlanders to The Royal Highland Regiment.  Since there was no room on the badge for the latter title, all scrolls were eliminated from badges manufactured from 1936 onward (some say it was 1937).  So, your badge fits in the time window 1901-1936, and I agree that it is consistent with WW1.

Thank you guys! And….what about the rosette under the badge, I’m in right if I said that BW glengarrys don’t use it?🤔

27 minutes ago, Cesare said:

Thank you guys! And….what about the rosette under the badge, I’m in right if I said that BW glengarrys don’t use it?🤔

Yes that’s correct, the two regular battalions certainly did not as a rule wear a rosette.  This matter was discussed in an old thread here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/190439-black-watch-glengarry-badge-backing/

The recognised expert on most aspects concerning the Black Watch is @ronmarsden who might be able to comment further. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, max7474 said:

The top one being brass is not correct for a british BW regiment badge.  The Canadians did wear them in brass.

In the Brooker catalogue, I don't see brass mentioned for either the 42nd or 73rd Battalions CEF.  However, the first badge in the OP could be gilding metal which was one of the styles worn by the 42nd.  So, you could be right that the first badge may be Canadian.

• 1 year later...

On a sort of related topic was the ww1 BW glengarry black or dark blue?

Harvey 

2 hours ago, Piper42nd said:

On a sort of related topic was the ww1 BW glengarry black or dark blue?

Harvey 

Dark blue with a red toorie. No badge backing was used.

BWGlengarry.jpg.4ed0e3c31de3a8fb20e7c2feda483dc6.jpg

good eveing,

Were there silk edges during the 1st war.
I have always been told:
leather border = ww1
silk border = ww2
Thank you in advance for your answers

michel

1 minute ago, battle of loos said:

good eveing,

Were there silk edges during the 1st war.
I have always been told:
leather border = ww1
silk border = ww2
Thank you in advance for your answers

michel

Officers' glengarries in the regular battalions always had silk borders. 

According to the research done by the late forum member Joe Sweeney, glengarries were manufactured with leather borders during the period approximately 1908-15 (exact dates varied slightly by regiment) for ORs.  There is ample photographic evidence that officers also wore these issue glengarries as the war progressed. Before and after the time window cited, the borders were in faux silk or ribbon.