Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. James BUTTERFIELD, 26488, Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Died: 20 December 1918 - Now to be commemorated

Matlock1418

I am please to report that a case I submitted in October 2021 has been accepted and is to be added to the CWGC database "in due course".

Pte. James BUTTERFIELD, 26488, 10 Royal Dublin Fusiliers [Attd. 63 RND] - his service papers survive as do MIC, Medal Roll, SWB record, Pension Cards, Soldier's effects, Hospital admission - as do birth/marriage/death registrations for him and his family and a burial record

Born: 14 Jan 1890 - Dublin

Married: 1916 - registered Old or West Kilpatrick

Lived: 1 Second Terrace, Clydebank, Glasgow

Enlisted: 16/3/16

Discharged: 28/5/18

SWB: 394306

Pension: Disability claimed, VDH

Died: 20 Dec. 1918 - Pulmonary TB and VDH/Heart Failure [registered Old or West Kilpatrick [Clydebank/Glasgow]]

Buried: Kilbowie Cemetery, Clydebank - Section E, Lair 412 - Later became a family grave with his widow, Catherine/Kathleen, d.1919, young daughter, Elizabeth, b/d 1919, and Timothy Butterfield, d.1942

Survived by a young son, James Patrick BUTTERFIELD who appears to have gone to live with a Mrs Margaret Moriarty, Guardian [JB's sister-in-law/JPB's aunt]

I look forward to James BUTTERFIELD being commemorated on the CWGC website - and perhaps his grave too?

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Well done M, great work. 

He died several months after discharge, how did you get CWGC to accept it as a war death? Was his death attributable to his service

48 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I am please to report that a case I submitted in October 2021 has been accepted and is to be added to the CWGC database "in due course".

Well done!!!

30 minutes ago, Jervis said:

He died several months after discharge, how did you get CWGC to accept it as a war death? Was his death attributable to his service

The CWGC do not give you any info on their acceptance decision - other than accepted [Or not] - Glad they accepted this case

I presume because of the multiple pieces of evidence I produced and linked in the submission of my case.

I have absolutely no idea if CWGC etc. found any more evidence.

From my perspective primarily = VDH due to service on medical board report, VDH on disability pension card, VDH & TB on his widow's pension card, TB & Heart failure on Death Certificate

Military and Ministry of Pensions also seemed to have satisfied 100 years ago - and now CWGC [as death before their cut-off of 31/8/1921] = I'm very pleased.

Now wondering when the commemoration will appear on the CWGC database and if a headstone might be forthcoming on his grave [found the lair for them - don't think there is a stone] or if a memorial might be made in the cemetery.

Note: As I type this I have received another e-mail and another man's acceptance by CWGC [fantastic!! - TBA] - in that reply CWGC are apparently "instigating some updates to the uploading process, hence the delays" in it/them appearing on the online database [apparently I only got notice of this acceptance(s) because I had actively requested an update(s) in the last 24 hours - apparently normally a case submitter would not get any notice prior to it appearing on the database - perhaps after then?].

M

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Not yet listed in awaiting adjudication-

Wasn't an IFCP submitted case = I flew solo!

To amplify my recent e-mail from CWGC on another case, that I have been advised has been accepted [only after I asked for its status!]:

"please note our making an exception to notify you of outcomes for these two cases, ahead of their being listed on the CWGC Casualty Database – our policy is that enquirers should only receive notification of accepted Non-Commemoration case once casualties are featured on our Casualty Database. We are instigating some updates to the uploading process, hence the delays."

I know I have been a bit pushy in asking for updates but after several months I was interested to know exactly what their statuses were [and reassurances that they were still in the system and being processed!]

I have replied to CWGC that I think they should have a publicly-accessible Non-comm database with status as their current system of enquiry and status seems very inefficient - asked for this ground-breaking idea to be referred to their Head of Commemorations [heaven forfend that everybody might start asking for updates on the cases they wondered if had been submitted or actually had personally had submitted! - job creation and/or an admin nightmare for CWGC?] = I await a reply on that idea!

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Good man Matlock on the ball. Well done for keeping with it and getting him remembered.

Cheers.

Tom.