Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Henry Peareth Brumell, DFC

dutchbarge

Once again I have been humiliated by the London Gazette.  I don't want to even say how many hours I spent fruitlessly trying to find the DFC citation for Lt. Henry Peareth Brumell, DFC.  The Edinburgh Gazette announced his DFC  June 5, 1919.  He (due to his DFC) was mentioned in the 1919 Birthday Honors.  I've got his AIR 76 file, several other LG announcements and quite a bit of biographical information.  But the circumstances of his DFC remain a mystery.  Lt. Brumell was a Canadian who served with 285 Squadron.  Twice crashed returning from raids.  Taken prisoner Sept. 3, 1918 (presumably after being shot down), repatriated Dec. 29, 1918.  Unfit for flying duties shortly after repatriation.  I would be very grateful if any of the members can help me with his DFC citation.  Cheers, Bill 

Not all citation s are gazetted , New Years honours for example are not 

Edited by Coldstreamer

The award was announced in the 'Peace Gazette' of 3 June 1919 [London edition number 31378] so there was no citation.  The entry in the London Gazette was under the heading:

Air Ministry,
Strand, London, W.C. 2.
3rd June, 1919.
His Majesty The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards to Officers and Other Ranks of the Royal Air Force, in recognition of distinguished services rendered during the war:—  

and Brumell's name is listed on page 7031.

He was with No 218 Squadron and force landed twice in D.H.9 D7240 - 19 July and 29 August 1918 - before being shot down and taken prisoner on 28 September in E8883.

Graeme

Edited by topgun1918

Thank you, Graeme. 

During the days my own (inglorious) military service (back in the 1970s), before one could receive an award for valor it was necessary for a witness(es) to the qualifying event(s) to bring said qualifying event(s) to the attention their commanding officer (unless, of course, their commanding officer witnessed the qualifying event(s) and felt moved to recommend so-and so for an award).  At said commanding officer's (usually sole) discretion a report would/would not be written up recommending so-and-so for a specific award (e.g. MOH, DSC, SS, BS) and sent up the ladder of command.  Following much political dithering the recommendation would either be denied, reduced from say a SS to BS, or (almost never) approved. 

Am I wrong to assume that a similar process took place before Lt. Brumell received his DFC and, if so, there would be a document(s) somewhere reciting the qualifying event(s) which precipitated that award?  Assuming the latter, any idea of where might I look for said document(s)? 

Cheers, Bill 

Edited by dutchbarge

2 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

Thank you, Graeme. 

During the days my own (inglorious) military service (back in the 1970s), before one could receive an award for valor it was necessary for a witness(es) to the qualifying event(s) to bring said qualifying event(s) to the attention their commanding officer (unless, of course, their commanding officer witnessed the qualifying event(s) and felt moved to recommend so-and so for an award).  At said commanding officer's (usually sole) discretion a report would/would not be written up recommending so-and-so for a specific award (e.g. MOH, DSC, SS, BS) and sent up the ladder of command.  Following much political dithering the recommendation would either be denied, reduced from say a SS to BS, or (almost never) approved. 

Am I wrong to assume that a similar process took place before Lt. Brumell received his DFC and, if so, there would be a document(s) somewhere reciting the qualifying event(s) which precipitated that award?  Assuming the latter, any idea of where might I look for said document(s)? 

Cheers, Bill 

The most likely source would be any general files pertaining to 218 Sqn that may have survived in the UK National Archives.  AIR 1 is often a good place to start.  I found a trove of information about 11 Sqn in late 1918 thru 1919 that helped with my research of a relative, which included an "Honours and Awards" file (AIR 1/2011/204/305/17).  You may be lucky and find a similar file has survived for 218 Sqn.  

Edited by Buffnut453

BINGO!  AIR 1 shows 48 reports (1917-1919) with very promising titles (none, unfortunately, online).  But getting from New Mexico to Kew isn't all that difficult.  Thanks for your kind help.  Cheers, Bill

The GHQ Communique covering activity on 15 August 1918, reported “On August 15th the number of combats was not great.  Four hostile machines were destroyed by our airmen and two German observation balloons were shot down in flames.  Five hostile machines were driven down out of control.  One of our aeroplanes is missing.  Much reconnaissance work and a good deal of observation for artillery fire were successfully accomplished during the day.  The total weight of bombs dropped by us in the course of the 24 hours amounted to 22½ tons.  Two German aerodromes were heavily attacked, as well as several of the enemy's dumps and railway connections.  All our night bombing machines returned safely.”

No 218 Squadron was involved on the attack upon Ghistelles aerodrome and two Pfalz scouts were claimed, one out of control by Lieut Henry Peareth Brumell & Sergt Reginald Stanley Joysey and another in flames by Lieut Adrian William Edmund Reeves & 2nd Lieut George Millatt Worthington.  This may have led to his being recommended for the DFC.

Graeme   

Thank you, Graeme, for the much appreciated and interesting information about Brumell's shared victory.  As ever, I am amazed at the vast knowledge possessed by the Forum members, including Buffnutt453 and Coldstreamer, and the generosity with which they share their time.  Cheers, Bill 

13 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

BINGO!  AIR 1 shows 48 reports (1917-1919) with very promising titles (none, unfortunately, online).  But getting from New Mexico to Kew isn't all that difficult.  Thanks for your kind help.  Cheers, Bill

Bill,

I'm planning a trip to Kew in June and may have time to dig out a few selected 218 Sqn files.  However, we'd have to be pretty selective as I have my own research that I need to complete.  

Just putting the offer out there since I share your problem (I live in Utah).

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks, Mark, for your most generous offer.  I think I've got all I need now......I've trolled the Aerodrome's '100 Years Ago Today' and it seems to cover most of Brumell's activities.  Again, thank you SO much for your kind offer.  Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill

Brumell's victory was shared inasmuch as it was achieved with Sergt Joysey in the rear seat rather than with the crew of another aeroplane.  

I was the progenitor of the '100 years ago today' series of posts on the Aerodrome forum; there's more information in my files than was posted.

Graeme

Graeme,  I've long admired the people behind the arduous task of creating and maintaining Great War websites and forums which make it so easy for the rest of us to pursue our interests......I've often marveled , whilst scrolling down long lists of data, at the dedication of the person who compiled them......I'm glad to finally have the opportunity to thank one of these very special persons.......you.  Please know that your work is much appreciated.  '100 years ago today' has been an essential treasure trove of information........and so much easier than pouring over dusty journal at Kew, especially for those of us living outside the UK.  Cheers, Bill

Thanks for the kind words, Bill, they're much appreciated.  I'm presently updating everything to include more detail such as full names, service numbers for NCOs, the latest take on who-got-whom and instances of casualties incurred other than in combat (the number of take off and landing accidents is eye-watering); it's a bit of a mammoth undertaking, but something I promised myself I would do (the best part of 20 years ago!)  The trouble is our knowledge of what took place all those years ago never stops improving, so it seems that a lot of information is out of date almost as soon as I've finished typing!  It hasn't helped that I lost about a year's worth of data when a backup of my laptop went haywire, so I'm having to carefully go over everything; still, that's what retirement is for!    

It may be relevant to note that in the same edition of the Gazette in which Brumell's DFC was promulgated, the award of Joysey's Distinguished Flying Medal was announced (on page 7035):

His Majesty The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards to Officers and Other Ranks of the Royal Air Force, in recognition of distinguished services rendered during the war:—

AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED FLYING MEDAL.

222304 Sjt. (Obs.) Reginald Stanley Joysey. (FLANDERS)

Again, no citation was published.

I've had a quick look through my files but can't see any reference to an AIR1 file relating to recommendations for officers of No 218 Squadron/89 Wing/5 Brigade.  There  might be something on Ancestry, but I don't (yet) subscribe. 

Good luck with your research.

Graeme

• 1 month later...

Note that the NY Times article credits him with 5 victories in his last engagement............................not mentioned was one confirmed victory 15 August 1918..............making a score of 6, if you believe the NY Times.  His final engagement, in which he was shot down and wounded, was  28 September, not as the NYT reported in "early 1918" and he attended Columbia University (but did not graduate) not Cornell University, another mistake of the NYT......sloppy journalism, the hallmark of the NY Times.......still spreading lies and malicious innuendo today..............

2 hours ago, dutchbarge said:

Note that the NY Times article credits him with 5 victories in his last engagement............................not mentioned was one confirmed victory 15 August 1918..............making a score of 6, if you believe the NY Times.  His final engagement, in which he was shot down and wounded, was  28 September, not as the NYT reported in "early 1918" and he attended Columbia University (but did not graduate) not Cornell University, another mistake of the NYT......sloppy journalism, the hallmark of the NY Times.......still spreading lies and malicious innuendo today..............

Rather like our Daily Mail !