Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patient named Gallogley at Linden, Blackrock, Co Dublin Easter 1916

monkstown

Could anyone fill me in about a patient of Linden Auxiliary Hospital, Blackrock, named Gallogley - he was a patient there at Easter 1916 (late April).  I don't know anything about his rank or regiment, unfortunately.

Thanks

Thanks Alan - yes, I came across those seven records last night - I was hoping I had forgotten an  'easier way':D!

I must check out J Gallogley Durham Light Infantry on whatever hospital lists there are - this evening's task...

Edited by monkstown

For what it is worth. Dated October, 1915.

image.png.71aac33381594f6ae908598927fc2201.png

image.png.532a20d6b5972316875f264f17488c38.png

Thanks museumtom - that could be worth a lot! It is a different spelling to the one I saw in a VAD's diary but that is probably a very minor point, although the National Archives don't list a Galloughley but does list an Andrew Gallogley and a Daniel Gallogley with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. It did say in the diary, to which I haven't got access at the moment, that he had attended a particular school (the name of which escapes me - I was under time pressure when I saw this) and I presumed that school was in England but I suppose officers of  the Royal Irish Fusiliers could well have been educated in England.

That Galloughley spelling doesn't appear on the Irish 1911 census either.

Ah thank you - yes, the vagaries of spellings!

Thanks Alan - didn't get a chance to look last night - will follow up.

• 1 month later...

I think I have found my man - the same man museumtom suggested but spelt differently. The VAD's diary referred to him being at Ellesmere and that his mother lived near Linden Auxiliary Hospital - St John's Home of Rest is only 2.5 miles from Linden.   I have also managed to trace the family on the 1901 and 1911 censuses - the mother's name had been incorrectly transcribed as Gallagher.

Cutting is from Northern Whig 25 Aug 1915.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Lieut G H Gallogly Northern Whig 25 Aug 1915.JPG

Edited by monkstown