Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engieers

Barry S

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help?

My local Barber put a chap in touch with me who was wanting some more info on his father and his medals/war service.

I'm no expert but dug some books out and told him what I could, Ron is 75 and been doing his family history, so was quite capable with his sons help of getting his fathers MIC.

Based on that a relative of his in Hampshire travelled to the National Archives and got him copies of the medal rolls, no service paper unfortunately, so he has some info.

Could any one help to take things a little further?

Ron's fathers details:

101052 & WR-252252 Sgt John Henry Henderson R.E.

The MIC states theatre of war as 0 (zero) but he has BWM & Victory.

Photo below Ron's dad is one of the Sgt's not sure which (he did say it was an odd pose before sending me the photo) but he did ask what the badge above the stripes was? I said it looked like a fusilier badge but couldn't say anymore; thought it odd though, see below.

I also told him that WR was Waterways & Railways and I checked in soldiers died for like numbers as my books mentioned that R.E. numbers were batch issued? This brought up the 45th Broad Gauge Operating Company R.E. which tied in because his father was a railway signalman before the war and a Station Master after.

Any Royal Engineers experts?

Thanks

Barry

Ps I'm strugling to get photo on the post!

post-3296-1111523653_thumb.jpg