Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was thought to Pte A V Martin - but no record of him being in RAMC

Ray Sharpe

Can anybody identify this person - I had him in a Family Tree as Pte A V Martin, but all searches so far have not shown him to be in RAMC, so trying to identify who the person is

Private Albert MARTIN.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ray Sharpe said:

Can anybody identify this person - I had him in a Family Tree as Pte A V Martin, but all searches so far have not shown him to be in RAMC, so trying to identify who the person is

Private Albert MARTIN.jpg

The first step is to look at a) what is known of A V Martin and, if it's not him, b) whether it's any close relative such as a brother.

Craig

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The first step is to look at a) what is known of A V Martin and, if it's not him, b) whether it's any close relative such as a brother.

Craig

I know alot about Pte A V Martin now from Ancestry and this site, but responses I have had from within this site etc has never had him in RAMC.  I had the 'photo' on my family tree and it was believed to be him- but traces now mean he was never in RAMC and therefore do not think the photo is of A V Martin, and trying to find out why this picture was on the family tree as him

Don't know a great deal on these things but I'm sure that's an unusual 'shoulder title'. Thought they would be brass and all letters connected into a bar. This has individual letters separated with full stops. Is it sewn on I wonder.

TEW

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

Don't know a great deal on these things but I'm sure that's an unusual 'shoulder title'. Thought they would be brass and all letters connected into a bar. This has individual letters separated with full stops. Is it sewn on I wonder.

It's a slip-on shoulder title, embroidered or printed on cloth. Originally introduced in 1915/1916 they were supposed to replace the brass titles but were universally hated, and so the BEF issued a GRO 2137 (13.2.17) which stated that all worsted shoulder titles will in future be worn on the sleeve just below the point of the shoulder. See:

1 hour ago, TEW said:

TEW

Thank you

I know a bit about Army shoulder emblems - from what I know different Regiments had their emblems e.g. RAMC if Medical Corps, and like REME were Royal Engineers etc so the shoulder badge doesn't bother me as I think that could be correct if the person was in Medical Corps, its more (for me) I had the picture as someone who I 'think' was never in the Medical Corps

It was more about the specific type of shoulder title rather there being ones for different units. I thought it may have been an pre or post war type.

All explained by Andrew.

TEW

Thanks agree - I wouldn't have thought the personnel would have worn badges - to me if caught they show what the person was and what regiment they were in - I may be wrong but it seems to be giving away information !.  My knowledge of these type of badges were from later, but as its been said on here they swapped over from metal to cloth badges.  I'm going through all the photos I have of the family trying to see if there is anything written on the back of the original photo (like a date or something to provide more information)  

• RussT locked this topic