Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery support to 63rd RN Division - Beaucourt and Hamel - 14 Nov 1916

delta

Grateful for assistance for help in locating details of artillery support provided to 63rd RN Division on 14 Nov  1916 - in particular for their assault on Beaucourt and the strong point north of Hamel.

Hamel strongpoint 14 Sep 1916.png

Edited by delta
Map of area added

The Divisional Artillery was the second line Northumbrian Brigades which joined the Royal Naval Division in July 1916. 

Information about the Brigades can be found on the LLT 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/cccxv-cccxvi-cccxvii-and-cccxviii-howitzer-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery-63rd-divisional-artillery/

The Brigade war diaries may have more information regarding the action.

Details should also be available from WO95/309 [Div Artillery WD for November 1916]. The following are four extracts from a paper originally given by Captain Christopher Page RN at Sandhurst, and subsequently published by Len Sellers in his magazine 'RND', Issue No.2, and may be of help

Scan2022-03-22_134534.jpg.731581cce33f6b92282aca9ceb0a7547.jpg

954106426_Nov16B(2).jpg.2bdb1df4e6b5d7fbc1eb79390c308b31.jpg

69023632_Nov16B(1).jpg.ca82c63b9d5e94b70a770a0ff4628b10.jpg

Nov16C.jpg.13e05421cda073f8c17d8587f36c6ea3.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

55 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

WO95/309 [Div Artillery WD for November 1916]

Caution - I think that Len could very well have a mis-print here as I see related WDs have four digit nos. eg: participating battalions WD95/3110, 3111, 3114, 3118 & 3119

Edited by michaeldr

Thank you @michaeldr  for this most useful info which has shared more light on the attack at Hamel.  

The D Coy War Diary gives more info as to why the tanks were withdrawn (see below) and gives hints as to why only three were allocated to the attack on 14 Nov.  All three tank skippers had seen action before; Drader on 15 Sep at Martinpuich (his tank was damaged but he took another into action that evening and the next morning); Robinson at Courcelette on 26 (his tank was destroyed after being hounded back by artillery) and Bell, in the Reserve, who original tank was knocked out near Le Sars on 7 Oct after he had cleared a German field position).

There was another section back at Beaussart - it took over from the Mortimore's section which had been  rendered ineffective. That section was sent forward on 16 Sep to Beaucourt Station via the Ancre valley road - it took over 24 hours to get them into position and only one was fit for action the next day. It was sent into  action on 18 Nov and succeeded in getting 750 yards into the German depth positions. 

I don't wish to contradict Capt Page but another source (Horatio2) states that Campbell was awarded an MC for his action on the Ancre and an Bar for the action on 14 Nov - the citation stating  “For conspicuous gallantry in action. He brought his guns into action with good effect. Later, he guided two Tanks to the enemy first line system, and materially assisted in taking over 400 prisoners.”

Attk on Hamel .png

Edited by delta

Stephen

This is from the WD of 63 Div HQ GS. Courtesy TNA WO 95 3093 Ancestry p 665/1163.

Brian

63hqss.jpg

I hadn't realised that tanks were used here. The stongpoint in question is presumably where the remains of a concrete bunker lie beside the track above the Hamel-Beaucourt road?

Brian

Thank you so much for the 63rd Div and arty info - very useful 

Horrocks

The strong point was well (50 metres)above the Hamel to Beaucourt Road,

It was described by GOC 63 Div thu

‘The strong point was built in the form of a single communications trench and, from this cause, its presence had not been disclosed by aeroplane photographs beforehand. The dugouts which it contained were very deep and three concrete machine gun emplacements approached by steep ladders from the dugouts had been untouched by our bombardments. It appears that these machine guns could fire continuously in spite of our barrage’.  

The War Diary of 10th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers provides more details.

‘The strong point extended from the German front line trench to their reserve trench and had four entrances in front and two each in the support and reserve lines. The dug out was capable of taking 1,500 men and had an electric plant installed. It also had ammunition stores to supply the three lines and a first aid station. Machine guns covered each entrance with various snipers in between’.  

This map may help. 

ancre_map_nov_1916_good.jpg

Edited by delta
Map added

• 2 weeks later...

I attach some photos of the position to which I refer. It is located on the German front line at exactly the point at which the fire trench crosses the track, as can be confirmed on GE where both the mark of the trenches and the concrete position can (just) be ascertained, so below the 'nc' of 'trenches' on your map. In the final image the position is located in the clump of pale dead grass on the left of the track just as it dips out of view. It occured to me that it would also have been well-placed to fire onto the Ulsters advancing out of Thiepval Wood in 1st July.

I have no connection with the Wilmot family.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for sharing those photos - they are first rate

Presumably the track is that which leads up from near the Ancre Cemetery ?

Ancre cemetery and strongpoint posn cropped.jpeg

Edited by delta

Hello Delta,

I believe you are correct on the location of the position. If my memory is correct it is on the right side of the track as you move uphill and overlooks Ancre Cemetery.

Gene

Gene 

Thank you - I have never walked the route (I was planning to do so last year but Covid restrictions stopped my trip). 

Stephen 

aka delta

Yes, it is indeed the track that runs up from the road beside the Cemetery. If you look carefully you can just make out the top of the Cross of Sacrifice in the third and last photos. It is located at the point that the chalky disturbance in the field which indicates the German trench meets the track.

Edited by horrocks

As an aside, I'm intrigued at the name of the Property of a Thousand Odours on the GE view above! It appears to be a business. Strange name.