Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with transcribing an interview about the Spring Offensive

BillyH

A 2nd Lt. of the 11th Bn Cheshire Regiment was taken prisoner on 23rd March 1918. After being repatriated he was required to make a statement about the events surrounding his capture (probably standard procedure?).

The handwriting is poor but I have transcribed it below (and I would like other opinions on the words in red). The original image is also attached below.

When we were captured we had practically no xxx left. We were completely surrounded. The enemy were 5 miles at least from rear and we were outnumbered 3 or 4 to one. The toll : officers surrendered at same time 2 Lt. Colonels (don’t know names), one Commander, West Kents (42nd Division), a Major (unknown), the Adjutant West Kents. Of my own regiment the tollLt. Williams acting Adjutant    Lt. Barry    Lt. Kissack sniping officer    Lt. Dixon commanding A company.

In my actual vicinity about 5 of my own men, Lewis Gunners surrendered with me. The remaining men were mostly Signallers  and H.Q. staff of other battalions.

The two C.O’s and the Major, and a Major commanding Machine Guns of 74th M.G.C. held a consultation - I was not present. I heard they decided to wait til night and try and back back. They had no idea that the Bosche’s line was practically joined up. The C.O.’s of the West Kents and the Battalion on our left were captured at same time.

BillyH.

gwf.JPG.69fb6e5a9c5c65ae739df65df2de5c0b.JPG

Hi Billy,

I read it as:

When we were captured we had practically no Saa (small arms ammunition) left. We were completely surrounded. The enemy were 5 miles at least from rear and we were outnumbered 3 or 4 to one. The foll[owing] : officers surrendered at same time 2 Lt. Colonels (don’t know names), one Commander, West Kents (42nd Division), a Major (unknown), the Adjutant West Kents. Of my own regiment the FollowingLt. Williams acting Adjutant    Lt. Barry    Lt. Kissack sniping officer    Lt. Dixon commanding A company.

In my actual vicinity about 5 of my own men, Lewis Gunners surrendered with me. The remaining men were mostly Signallers  and H.Q. staff of other battalions.

The two C.O’s and the Major, and a Major commanding Machine Guns of 74th M.G.C. held a consultation - I was not present. I heard they decided to wait til night and try and break? back .They had no idea that the Bosche’s line was practically joined up. The C.O.’s of the West Kents and the Battalion on our left were captured at same time.

Edited by Promenade

Agree with all changes Promenade has listed (was typing a similar answer, but beat me to it!).

And I agree with "break back" (that Promenade had a question mark after).

Thanks for both replies.  "Small arms ammunition" had me beaten, I could kick myself now!

BillyH.