Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified War Hospital

high wood

The use of the term "Piccadilly" probably refers to the main thoroughfare of the hospital grounds. If anyone can identify the hospital from the photograph alone I would be very impressed.

There is nothing on the back of the photograph to indicate the location of the hospital.

More Ludlow 002.JPG

More Ludlow 003.JPG

More Ludlow 004.JPG

More Ludlow 005.JPG

More Ludlow 006.JPG

Edited by high wood

Pretty certain its Netley

Regards

Geoff

17 minutes ago, sdparker said:

Pretty certain its Netley

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

thank you for that. I will take a look at Netley to see if there are any corresponding photographs.

Simon

Simon

I have a photo showing a visit by the Duke of Connaught taken in the same place as your first photograph.

I will post it later today, when I get home

Geoff

Here’s a picture looking in the other direction, towards the hospital (Royal Victoria, Netley), and an aerial view showing all the additional huts out the back. 

MB

4AC905B0-EC51-4AFD-815A-A399D52108D4.jpeg

A08AB04B-8A1B-46A3-B750-CD06921367DE.jpeg

Simon

photo as promised A23AFAA7-72B5-4559-A441-5DB2014E839D.jpeg.8ea9329b00439e8d83c680cdf7c765ad.jpeg

• 1 month later...

100% Netley hospital. I have lots of information on my website www.netley-military-cemetery.co.uk

Actually three hospitals on the one (Netley) site, the original long corridor brick building was the Royal Victoria Hospital, then during WW1 a Red Cross overspill hospital got constructed out the back built using numerous wooden huts (either side of ‘Piccadilly’), and finally what was known as the Welsh Hospital a little further to the rear (identifiable in photos as a collection of single-story white-washed buildings).

MB