Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHARLEY DAVID ARTHUR

Kev darby

hello can anyone help me with THIS.

Ive come across a Pte of the 9th Royal Warwickshire Regiment. who died 1st December 1918 in Coventry. i cant find him on CWWG site.

image1 7.JPG

discharge.JPG

image2.JPG

image3 2.JPG

image4.JPG

His service record survives.
He received a Silver War Badge.
You need to find his cause of death from the death certificate and link it  to the cause of his discharge. If you can do that, you are in with a chance of getting him commemorated.

Edit: There seems to be a reference to a 'stump', presumably he had his leg amputated as a result of his wounding in 1917?
There are several pension cards on Fold 3 that I can't access - there could be useful information there.
Soldiers' Effects confirms he died after discharge.
In the absence of a cause of death shown in his pension cards, then the next step is getting a death certificate.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

The pension cards give his disability as "GSW right(?) arm amputated" but don't state the cause of death, only that he died from "disease". There is also a medical record on FMP showing a hospital transfer from Bombay to Cape Town in July 1917 for the same injury, and the SWB roll shows that he was discharged due to wounds.

1507706274_CharleyDavidArthur(16847).jpg.db822e957cd9cdb768caa8f9f3a73ea7.jpg

It's a bit risky though. There could be a case here if the cause of death was related to the GSW, but there's a good chance that he died from something unrelated, such as influenza. Only the death certificate would settle it.

A transcribed burial record is also on FMP, he is at Coventry (London Road) Cemetery, grave ref 158-119. Inscription reads:

In loving memory of William Charley who died Mar 6 1908 aged 57 years. Also Mary wife of William Charley who died Aug 9 1936 aged 78 years. [RH Kerb] Also of David Arthur Charley who died Dec 1 1918 aged 29 years.

Edited by PaulC78

54 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

GSW right(?) arm amputated"

Ah, OK, arm, rather than leg. Service record is in pretty poor condition on that page.

Agree, as I mentioned in my initial reply, the next step is a death certificate.

• 3 weeks later...