Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14-15 Star to Cpl S4/064505 Pearce ASC - seeking further information

m1garand1

I recently purchased a 1914-15 star belonging to CPL F.L. Pearce, S4-064505, ASC.

I found his medal card, and it states he also served with Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers), 42187

However that is as much as I could find. I was wondering if there was more information on him and his service. Perhaps his enlistment papers that I cannot find, or information on his family?

Thank you!

I have amended the title of your topic to reflect accuracy and meaning

Edited by kenf48
Title Amended

• kenf48 changed the title to 14-15 Star to Cpl S4/064505 Pearce ASC - seeking further information

from the MR it rather looks like he may have been 'combed out' of 52 Field Bakery, ASC into 9 RIR

[Field Bakeries see LLThttps://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/field-bakeries-of-the-army-service-corps ]

From his MIC it show he survived the war and was eventually transferred to the Army Z Reserve [AR disbanded at the end of August 1920]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
AR disbanded

Unfortunately as you may or may not know,  many ww1 soldiers papers were lost during the blitz of ww2. Unless extremely lucky, he left memories, won a bravery medal or did something notable in civilian life, chances are little will be found. Its ironic, more can be found out about thise who died rather than those who returned.

1939 free or 1921 census may give up something after the war but during service, you might get lucky contacting the regimental museums that he served with.

2 hours ago, chaz said:

1921 census may give up something after the war

For a man with about the right/likely sort of age the 1921 Census shows:

Harry L Pearce [born] 1891 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England [Enumerated] Birmingham Aston Warwickshire = Harry L, Arthur J, Martha S and 3 others are on this record

But no way [yet?] to confirm this is the same man.

M

Edit & strike - oops, having a senior moment over his forename earlier!

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit

3 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

I saw him earlier, if it is him, then he wasn't registered as 'Frank Lawrence Pearce' at birth. Plenty of Franks, but no Frank Lawerence from 1880 - 1900 in England and Wales.

You're right. The signwriter was married as 'Frank Leonard Pearce' in 1914: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/277238:1623?tid=&pid=&queryId=2eab861f60ea8edf1a83ace327338075&_phsrc=WWn1065&_phstart=successSource

Definitely a Frank Lawrence in Westminster in 1919 (linked further up):

image.png.acfd0ca79a56667ec0b0aadc2684405e.png

Still there with family members in 1925:

image.png.6ca6f3c341ee359726184e3215a39666.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

2 hours ago, chaz said:

1921 census may give up something after the war

Returning to the 1921 Census [scrapped my last very poor effort!]

For a man with about the right/likely sort of age the 1921 Census shows:

Frank L Pearce [Born] 1890, London, England [Enumerated] Bournemouth, Christchurch  Hampshire - Frank L, Alfred Edward, Julia Mary and 1 other are on this record

But no way [yet?] to confirm this is the same man.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Noting that Frank Lawrence Pearce had a brother Edward Lawrence in 1919 - above:

A Charles Pearce married a Harriett Lawrence on 9 July 1871 in Deptford, Kent   (Ancestry).

image.png

I don't see them after 1881 census: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=7572&h=7772453&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=4772

Charles may have died c.1890

Edited by Ivor Anderson