Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Benn KIA 2/9/1915

nilis11

Doe anyone have information on Captain Benn, Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. His Christian Names were Joseph Reginald Tankard.

He was killed in action south of Boezinge on 2/9/1915 whilst serving ith the 11th Howitzer battery a.k.a. D/245 battery 49th West Riding Territorial Division.

He is buried at Talana Farm cemetery and he is mentioned in Norman Tennent's book A Saturday Night Soldiers War.

Pictures are also welcome.

Niels

Niels

CWGC has the date of death as 01/09/1915

This is probably his Medal Card online:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=12

He should also have some entries in the London Gazette online of his promotion, but I don't have time right now!

Steve Beeby

Capt. Joseph Reginald Tankard Benn, RFA

Born, 1 Nov 1890, the son of Joseph Benn of Burley-in-Wharfedale

Educated at Charterhouse School from 1905-1909 and at Oriel College, Oxford University

Mobilized as a Captain on 4 Aug 1914 with 11th (Ilkley) Battery, 4th W Riding (How) Bde, RFA TF

KIA while a Forward Observation Officer near Ypres on 1 Sep 1915

The Benn Scholarship at Charterhouse School was founded in his and his brother's memory (his brother was Capt. Alfred Maurice Benn, 9th W Yorkshire Regt, KIA on the Somme, 27 Sep 1916).

A Record of D245 Battery 1914-1915 by Serg. A. E. Gee, MM and Corporal A. E. Shaw gives the following evidence concerning Capt. Benn's death:

"The Observation Post for the Battery was a small wooden shed in a field at the corner where the road from Dawson's Corner met the Boesinghe-Ypres road and opposite some cottages. The latter were marked on maps afterwards as Waalkrantz Farm, but when the Battery was there they were merely small cottages, badly damaged but with furniture and contents still there. . . .

On September 1st, 1915, Captain R. T. Benn, who was observing fire for the Battery from the O.P., was killed instantly by a German shell, which came through the roof of the shed, partially wrecking it. The 10th Battery were also observing from here, and Major K. Duncan had a narrow escape, as also had the telephonists.

This was a heavy blow for the Battery, as Captain Benn, a capable and efficient officer, was liked and respected by all. He had served the Unit for some years before the outbreak of war and was full of zeal and enthusiasm. The older hands well recollected his energy in turning out Church Parades in Ilkley, and the care he took to see that all details of the smart full-dress uniform were correct. His parting words, before the Battery marched off and the Band struck-up, used to be 'Heads up, chests out, and swank llike blazes,' and swank we did in those halcyon days.

That night a party reverently carried his body along the difficult paths to Talana Farm, while enemy machine-guns spattered bursts of fire across the Ypres-Boesinghe road, and next night he was buried near the farm, as many as could be sparred attending to see the last of a very brave gentleman."

A photo of Cpt Benn from the D/245 history is attached below"

post-765-1111482029_thumb.jpg

Dick has rather stolen my thunder here, this is one of the units I'm researching - D245 (former 1/11th Ilkley howitzers) and D246 (formerly 1/10th Otley howitzers).

I can add:

Benn, Joseph Reginald Tankard

Service record survives as WO 374/5721, covering period 1909-1919.

Enlisted 4th WR RFA April 16th 1909.

Lived West Lodge, Burley-in-Wharfedale (see letter of administration on death intestate 1919).

Report of death given as B.18.c.7.7 Sheet 28 1/40 000

Entitled to 14/15 star, war, victory medals

Death plaque and scroll to father Joe Benn J.P. @ Burley, April 29th 1919

'I am the father of this officer referred to herein as well as of Lt. A.M. Benn 9th West Yorks. Regt. who was killed during the attack on Stuff Redoubt in the Somme Sept. 26th 1916. Am I not also entitled to the 1914-15 star and ribbon for these two officers also.'

Estate of £102-12-1d to father c/o Messrs. Watson, Son and Smith, solicitors, Cheapside, Bradford.

n.b. Bdr. Norman Tennant of the same battery took Capt. Benns personal effects back to the family in 1915. See Liddle collection, GS1588 for further details.

What is your interest in this man?

Forgot to add: The reason 'Danum Hotel' is written on a blackboard outside the dug-out is because it was the bty. staffs favourite watering hole when billeted in Doncaster 1915.

I do have some other photos of Capt. Benn in group photos of the bty. staff prior to embarkation but I'd like to know your interest first.

This is very good information on Captain Benn.

On his headstone at Talana Farm cemetery there was something at the bottom about Charter House and the name "Reggie".

Probably thats what they called him.

My interest in the battery started after reading Norman Tennent's book.

I have visited the locations of the OP's near Ypres last November using copies of Norman Tennent's Trench maps.

What I would like to know if there are pictures of the "Herberg De Kroon" billets near Brielen?

Other Pictures of Benn are most welcome ofcourse.

Thanks

Niels

There are indeed surviving photographs of the Herberg de Kroon billetts - the museum I work for is lucky in having the 1/10th bty Old Comrades photograph album and there are a series of photos which depict the 1/11th btys. first gun positions 1915.

Norman Tennants book is ok, but I think it's rather edited, when you cross reference it with other information sources it's quite selective. But then, it wouldn't be a 'Saturday Night Soldiers War' would it?

I can provide a lot of information on this battery, although it's probably best to ask a specific question.

p.s. if at all possible, could you post a picture of Capt. Benns grave? I'd be most grateful.