Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC documentation - who actually owns it?

doogal

Hi

A question that is the result of not having a lot to do this lunch time -

When the MoD handed over the burial returns to the CWGC after the war, was there any official notation of transfer made - or a receipt (of sorts) - ?

The heart of the question being - OK CWGC hold the records, but do they officially own them?

If so, who signed for them?

regards

doogal

The records appear to have been 'given' to CWGC by various authorities (the MoD did not exist then), probably at the same time the authorities officially handed over responsibility for each cemetery. I am sure that someone signed for them - even if it was only the doorman!

The documentation is now the property of CWGC (which is not a UK government organisation and not subject to the Freedom of Information Act - if that was going to be your next question . :D )

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for this.

I see the apparent train of thought this displayed, but honest guv, it was an idle question, posed for its own sake... :)

As far as it goes, I personally think that the CWGC should be brought under the auspices of this Act, especially when one considers the historical significance and the nature of the infomation they hold.

regards

doogal

CWGC is an international organisation and all its member governments have to agree on how it is run etc.

However, in general, the UK HQ follows British civil service principles and I would be surprised if we did not see a little more openess with respect to the original records in the future - in the spirit of the Act - at least as far is allowed by their Charter.

Hi

Setting aside the FOI status for a moment, I think there is also a bureaucratic point of interest here - My initial thoughts stemmed from wondering if ulitmately no one organisation could stump up (or be made to) and say "yup they're ours, and the law says we have to...", this leaves the documentation they hold in a precarious position by comparison to those of equivalent age and status held at the National Archive for example, which have been not only made available, but earmarked as part of the nation's collective memory and "official" heritage.

Their fate is entirely in the hands of the CWGC, which currently, in practice, is not a bad thing; but should their fate be so closely linked to an institution that, as is often stated, charged with the task of commemoration and tending cemeteries, rather than with any direct remit and duty to add to or maintain the nation's documetnation, historyor a canon of knowledge?

I put this as a point of interest, as I am aware that the CWGC do care for the documents, and are currently putting them on microfiche. I think what also started me thinking about this was the current thread addressing the possible demise of the medal index cards.

hope this is of interest

regards

doogal

I understand your point doogal but I don't think there is any need to worry. Personally, I would rather have all documentation in the hands of CWGC than the MoD (and the NA is not that secure either from theft or destruction - official or at the hands of the public!)

These are not archives as far as CWGC is concerned but working files which they use every day. This is the reason they are currently going through a long process of digitising the documents - to preserve the originals from deteriorating due to daily use.

There are no plans to make these copies available to the public as providing a reasearch service is not within their Charter remit. However, who knows what will become possible when the task is finally completed several years hence.