Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Lausoleum" near the St. Mihiel salient

danapplegate

A couple of years ago, Iron Cross Magazine posted some photos online of a "Lausoleum" that is "hidden in a forest near Thiaucourt in the St. Mihiel Salient." See the photos and story here: https://www.facebook.com/page/375883419872494/search/?q=lausoleum  Also see the attached pdf file. At least one commenter noted that he used to take tours to the area.

I am hooping someone can fill me in on where, exactly, I can find this old structure. I contacted the magazine, but it has lost contact with the writer who submitted the phots, and could not provide any other information. I have not been able to make contact with the old tour guide, either.

I am travelling to Verdun in May with an 87 year old who grew up with a German neighbor who fought in Verdun and this general area. Don't let the age fool you - he is very mobile. I would love to take him to see the lausoleum (or any other unique WWI remains in the area) if someone can provide some general directions!

lausoleum.pdf

That's a really interesting first post Dan, thank you. Where anything near Verdun is concerned I usually consult @Christina Holstein who knows the area better than anyone. I was also interested to see that an article on the action at Seicheprey was promised. I visited the village years ago and would like to go back someday.

Pete.

Nice photo, Dan,

Hmm, that rings a bell. I'm sure I've seen a wartime photo of it but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment. I'll see what I can find out.

2 hours ago, Christina Holstein said:

that rings a bell

I just knew that you would know something. See you in a fortnight to discuss German WW1 presumably pioneer ironic humour........

Pete.

P.S. Now I come to think of it @Sly is good with out of the way structures. He may have a perspective.

I have spent days and weeks walking this area, and never come across it. I would love to know where it is.

That whole area is a regular guiding trip of mine, and heaven knows how many kilometres I have walked through the forests there.

Edited by healdav

No luck yet, Pete. See you at the Conference.

I can see there will be quite a crowd beating a trail to the Lausoleum when we find it.

Christina

......... a little more detail for you to follow up on:  

In 2010-ish a French Great War site posted a 'Le lausoleum' story.  I can confirm we are talking about the very same building as the photos in the French article are identical to the photos in the Iron Cross article ........ right down to trees.  The French article more helpfully describes the location as "Hauts de Preny - rear German front of Bois le Prêtre"

Off on a slight tangent. There's a fascinating, very detailed article describing the construction and available facilities of a rear area camp, which includes a Lausoleum, built in Champagne around 1915 at:

Camp Neu-Köln in the Champagne (Camp Waldesruh) | Grensland Docs (grensland-docs.nl) 

(Photo below Grensland) 

IR53-Lausoleum-Waldesruh-NeuKoln-zt.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

22 hours ago, TullochArd said:

......... a little more detail for you to follow up on:  

In 2010-ish a French Great War site posted a 'Le lausoleum' story.  I can confirm we are talking about the very same building as the photos in the French article are identical to the photos in the Iron Cross article ........ right down to trees.  The French article more helpfully describes the location as "Hauts de Preny - rear German front of Bois le Prêtre"

I've found Bois de Preny on the map. It bears no relation to Thiaucourt. In fact it is near Villers sous Preny, a very small village. To find it on the map, go north along the Moselle from Pont à Mousson, and the forest is west of Norry les Pont à Mousson.

A little anectote regarding "Lausoleum":

In 1918 my grandfather had to undergo a delousing treatment in the Lausoleum in Kalisz, Poland. Curiously there was a guest book in which the men could sign. Some left comments, partly quite hearty ones. My grandfather took the time to copy a poem from the guest book. It is in German language, therefore only a few in the forum will understand it, but I do not withhold it from them:

Lausoleum Kalisch

Hurrah, Es soll die Klause leben,
Wo so viel tote Läuse kleben.
Tritt froh hinein in dieses Haus
Hier lebt der Mensch, hier stirbt die Laus.
Zermalmet sie, zermalmet sie,
nicht eher wird es and‘rs allhie!

Ob Kanonier, ob General
Er wird entlaust, s‘ist ganz egal.
Ob Ungar, Türke oder Preuße,
herunter müssen alle Läuse!
Doch sollt ein Mal der Kaiser kommen,
Wird der hier auch wohl vorgenommen?

Wir Deutschen fürchten Gott und sonst nichts auf der Welt
Doch hat sich jetzt im Krieg die Laus dazugesellt.
Hier liegt die Laus in letzten Zügen,
hier stirbt die Wanze, stirbt der Floh
Und wie wir sie hier unterkriegen,
Geht‘s draußen unsren Feinden so.

Der Mensch lebt nicht vom Brod allein,
Er muß auch ohne Läuse sein.
Mehr Feinden gab ich hier den Rest
als auf der Front in Ost und West.
Wo man laust, da laß‘ dich ruhig nieder,
Bist Du raus aus Kalisch, kriegste Läuse wieder.

----

Regards

H

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful. We are getting closer to finding it. Hopefully this gives everyone a new place to visit. Thank you all! And also - Christina, I used your walking tour book the first couple of times I visited Verdun, so thank you for that too!

On 21/03/2022 at 17:10, TullochArd said:

Another site refers to the same location and also identifies it as "located on the back of the Bois-le-Prêtre"

The hunt for lice. (1fr1.net)

Well it is; sort of! But you won't get to it directly from Bois le Pretre. Follow my route, and once in Villers sous Preny there is a road going more or less due south into the forest. It then becomes a forest track with a Trench name (marked on the IGN map, but I doubt if it is on the ground).

On 05/04/2022 at 03:09, danapplegate said:

And also - Christina, I used your walking tour book the first couple of times I visited Verdun, so thank you for that too!

And thank you too, Dan. I hope you found it interesting and above all easy to follow!

Christina