Details from CWGC:

Name: LAWS, MORDEN EDWARD

Initials: M E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/03/1915

Service No: 9775

Additional information: Son of Mr. W. E. Laws, of 28, Chequer Rd., East Grinstead, Sussex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 5.

Cemetery: DICKEBUSCH NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

He is commemorated on the East Grinstead War Memorial in West Sussex:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/EastGrinstead.html

LAWS

Morden Edward

Rifleman 9775 4th Battalion, The Kings Royal Rifle Corps. 27th Division. Died of wounds 18. 3.15. Aged 23. Son of Mr. and Mrs. W.E.Laws of 28, Chequers Road, East Grinstead. Born in Croydon and enlisted in Gosport, Hants. Buried Dickebusch New Military Cemetery, Belgium

And what a surprise it was for me to see this man's name on the Forum today.

Many years ago I used to frequent the junk shops of Sussex, in the days when no-one wanted Great War items. One of my best haunts was Worthing; there was a little shop by the War Memorial there, and during one of my regular visits I chanced across the Memorial Plaque to this man. With a name like Morden Edward Laws, I didn't think I would have any problems tracing him.

I still have the plaque, but not to hand to scan today, nor the file of research I have on him. From memory he was a pre-war regular soldier soldier, who was serving in India on the outbreak of war. He landed in France in January 1915, and was wounded in the front line at St Eloi, dying at an ADS in Dickebusche, where he is now buried. I have visited his grave on many occasions; glad to see he is remembered here today.

Paul

That's excellent stuff. I bet you were pleasantly surprised to see his name staring at you from your screen this morning.

1901 Census

Morden Edward Laws, age 7, son of William Laws, a 37 year old carpenter & Ellen Laws, brother of Nova Laws, age 3, Forest Row, East Grinstead, Sussex. Born Whytelafe, Surrey, March qtr 1894, Croydon District, 2a-287

Surprisingly enough, there is only one Morden Laws on the 1901 Census! (or any other Census for that matter) :P

Steve Beeby