Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H & D Depot Perham Downs

woronora

Hi I have come across the term H & D Dept Perham Downs in a number of service records of Australian soldiers during WW1. For the life of me I cannot find what the initials stand for.  Is there anyone who can offer a suggestion?

Cheers

John

12 hours ago, woronora said:

Hi I have come across the term H & D Dept Perham Downs in a number of service records of Australian soldiers during WW1. For the life of me I cannot find what the initials stand for.  Is there anyone who can offer a suggestion?

Cheers

John

Can you post an image of the particular record?

Craig

This website states: 'It was one of four Australian command depots in the UK dealing with soldiers who had been discharged from Hospital and needed training before being sent back to France. Command Depot No.1, capable of accommodating 4,000 men was established at Perham Downs in the summer of 1916, before moving to Sutton Veny in October 1917.' So, Hospital and Discharge? Holding and Discharge?

Acknown

Addition: This website is informative: https://anzac-22nd-battalion.com/training-camps-england/. No H&D though.

Edited by Acknown

1 hour ago, Acknown said:

So, Hospital and Discharge? Holding and Discharge?

Acknown

Perhaps John could post the dates of the entries he refers to? Were they to be 1919, this might support "Holding and Discharge".  But then I imagine that AIF soldiers were not usually formally discharged until they arrived home. A few did elect to stay in the UK and were discharged there.

AFAIK Perham Down did not have a hospital, presumably relying on medical facilities at Tidworth, a couple of miles away.

A search of unit war diaries might provide the answer.

Incidentally, the camp was and is usually referred to as "Perham Down", but a number of Australian soldiers did pluralise it, as they did "Salisbury Plain".

If it is connected with the Command Depot it may well be Holding and Drafting,  for men who had recovered and were awaiting  disposal.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your great suggestions on the meaning of H&D. I have attached a copy of the relevant section of Percy Reginald Devling's file where the term is used.  I hav egoogled extensively for this one but no joy.  Perhaps Terry's suggestion is the most likely.1448126201_ScreenShot2022-03-17at6_08_05am.png.eb4f7de08c8f561b481329302082cf2a.png

Cheers

John

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I agree with Terry and 303man that Holding and Drafting is the most likely meaning.

Cheers

John