Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with the location of this photograph please

aengland

Scene in Barastre, France, during World War I, showing a bridge over the Selle river, built by New Zealanders

Somewhere on the web we found this photograph, and last year spent a couple of hours trying to locate it's whereabouts today.  The caption indicates that the scene in Barastre, France, during World War I, showing a bridge over the Selle river, built by New Zealanders..... 31 October 1918.  Of course we went to Barastre only to very quickly discover that the Selle does not flow through the village!  Should have looked on the map before we went! 

It is not an important matter but for the pair of us who enjoy our annual visits to the western front it has become a nagging thorn, an itch that we want to scratch, a problem that requires to be solved.

So does anyone know exactly where it is taken please?  we would be extremely grateful to any Forum member that can help us.

Thank you in advance of a positive reply.

Andrew England & Rob Burkett

Source for the picture is the National Library of New Zealand. https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22880626

It's one of eight pictures accredited to the same photographer from this period.

As well as H1114 there is:-
H1034 New Zealand soldiers examining a German tank captured by New Zealand forces on the Western Front, and nicknamed "Schnuck". Photograph taken 8 September 1918
H1035 New Zealand soldiers examining a German tank captured by New Zealand forces on the Western Front, and nicknamed "Schnuck". Photograph taken 8 September 1918
H1122 New Zealand front line, where the New Zealanders started for their successful attack on Le Quesnoy Circa 04/11/1918
H1136 New Zealand 18 pounder battery in action, near Le Quesnoy, France, during World War I. Circa 28/10/1918
H1158. Soldiers of the Pioneer Battalion helping with the harvest while in rest billets on the Western Front. Photograph taken 17 September 1918
H1205. A German tank captured by Allied forces being towed at Fremicourt, France, by a British tank. Photograph taken 7 September 1918
H1282 New Zealand soldiers on leave in Cologne, Germany, after World War I.

The photographer was Henry Armytage Sanders. There are many of his pictures on line so could be worthwhile checking to see if there are other angles on the same scene.

Cheers,
Peter

1 minute ago, Open Bolt said:

? Briastre with Saint Pierre

Selle.jpg.66276ec81f761f65584530fe226ce1cf.jpg

I was just about to post that myself!  The wooden barn has gone, obviously, but I think the brick building is the same, and the orientation of the church looks right.

1 minute ago, pierssc said:

I was just about to post that myself!  The wooden barn has gone, obviously, but I think the brick building is the same, and the orientation of the church looks right.

Ditto.