Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Present with Battalion?

Skipman

This soldier joined the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders on 8/8/15. He was was definitely wounded on the 2nd March 1916. What might be the significance of "Present with Battalion 16/12/15" mean. It's not obvious from any other entry in the service records?

Mike

Forum present with Bn.JPG

Forum present with Bn2.JPG

Edited by Skipman

It may mean that he was sick or wounded but remained with the battalion, rather than passing into the care of the RAMC.

Ron

27 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

It may mean that he was sick or wounded but remained with the battalion, rather than passing into the care of the RAMC.

Ron

Many thanks Ron. not seen that before.

Mike

The 4-month gap between the two dates could well be the training period after enlistment?

Regards,

JMB

34 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

The 4-month gap between the two dates could well be the training period after enlistment?

Regards,

JMB

I suppose it could. This soldier was originally a pre-war member of local VAD enlisting 79th Field Ambulance RAMC January 1915, transferred to 3rd Gordon Highlanders May 1915, and posted 1st Batt Gordons 8/8/1915. Would he need another 3-4 months training?

Mike

My own grandfather was an infantryman in the Regular Army 1902-05.

His 9-years in the Reserve ended in early 1914; he volunteered in Oct. 1914 but was not shipped to France until Jan. 1915.

From my reading of the situation in 1914, I believe that the training was of mainly two issues, i.e., musketry and toughening.

Solved by days at the ranges and route-marches, respectively.

Regards,

JMB