Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help read location

Skipman

This soldier received both typhoid inoculations at Exemouth? The only Exmouth I know of is in Devon. This soldier at this time was with the 3rd Gordon Highlanders who were at Aberdeen throughout.

Mike

Forum inoculation location.JPG

Forum inoculation location 2.JPG

He enlisted in the 79th Field Ambulance RAMC before being transferred to Gordons. Was that unit in Devon in early 1915?

Mike

That answers that question then. This page is from the ancestry service record and does not appear on the FMP version. I found this record very recently and am certain it was not online when last looked (admittedly a few years ago)

Mike

Forum Exmouth.JPG

19 minutes ago, Skipman said:

He enlisted in the 79th Field Ambulance RAMC before being transferred to Gordons. Was that unit in Devon in early 1915?

79 Field Ambulance was a 29 Div Unit.  29 Div was established in Sep 1914 (K3) and began to to assemble in the "Salisbury Plain area" from September 1914.  Exmouth to Salisbury is 100 miles-ish which is quite a hike suggesting perhaps that some future components of, what would become, 79 Field Ambulance mustered/originated in Exmouth?  29 Div embarked for France in Sep 1915. 

12 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Not really relevant, but both those dates appear to have been altered.

Thanks Dai. Yes, not sure if that's 5th or 15th. I'm really amazed at finding this record. I searched high and low a few years back trying to find a date of transfer. I found a similar numbered soldier and that eventually gave me the answer but I'm certain this record was not available at that time.  I will have to search all again. Interesting that the ancestry version is a better scan and that it has a number of pages not on FMP.

Mike

2 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

79 Field Ambulance was a 29 Div Unit.  29 Div was established in Sep 1914 (K3) and began to to assemble in the "Salisbury Plain area" from September 1914.  Exmouth to Salisbury is 100 miles-ish which is quite a hike suggesting perhaps that some future components of, what would become, 79 Field Ambulance mustered/originated in Exmouth?  29 Div embarked for France in Sep 1915. 

Yes thanks for that. I'm sure now he was with the 79th Fd Amb when inoculated then transferred to 3rd Gordons.

Mike

3 hours ago, Skipman said:

Yes thanks for that. I'm sure now he was with the 79th Fd Amb when inoculated then transferred to 3rd Gordons.

Perhaps volunteered, attested and initially accepted into RAMC in Exmouth area then later reviewed, likely medically, and transferred to 3 GORDONS, a Special Reserve Battalion, at his own request.  I understand this was possible, and facilitated in early1915, before the Group Scheme prevailed. 

All said, without a name it's just speculation.

Thanks again. I would rather not post the soldier's name as am finding some of my research surfacing on Facebook with no credit given. If any pals want a link to the FMP and ancestry records for this soldier, pm me and will send links

Mike