Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Enlistment documents for soldier

EdScho10

Hi everyone,

I’m currently looking into my great great grandfather in ancestry who may of potentially been in ww1. We never thought he was because he was a coal miner, however there’s a chance he was in the Royal field artillery and royal engineers. 

His name is Edwin Schofield, born the 18th of Jan 1883 in Barnsley, Yorkshire, and died on 24th of April 1948 in Mexborough. He was married to an Alice Mullineaux 1879-1962. 

I'm currently trying to find his enlistment papers to see if this Edwin below is a match with the Edwin in my family. 

Would appreciate any help in my search. The documents below which I think could be him. 

Thankyou, 

Eddie 

B5ABCD81-6A83-4C70-9AC2-B018F635BECD.jpeg

2A5738D7-B282-4B2F-807D-78C7E1264430.jpeg

• Admin

Link to previous thread to avoid any repetition of answers. 

The document you’ve posted is a cross reference to a U.K. MOD list released several years ago of men born pre 1900 who were serving post 1921 - as mentioned to you in your previous thread.

You really need to explore that avenue as it may be that MOD still have his full file. It will cost you £30 and the current waiting list is about a year. use the 7 figure army service number shown.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

• Admin

The RA number for the man above was issued on or around 11th May 1915 and is in the series allocated to the 170th (County Palatine) Brigade RFA

The date entered theatre (Egypt) also accords with that unit 

See https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/clxv-clxix-clxx-and-clxxi-howitzer-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/

They were raised in Lancashire as shown on the linked page above.

He ended his WW1 service as a Company QuarterMaster Sergeant Royal Engineers (Railways).

Seems an unlikely fit for a coal hewer from Barnsley, but never say never.  Appointment as a Driver in the RA in 1915 indicates some previous experience with horses.

Hi @EdScho10.

As per the previous thread, there is nothing so far to indicate these two sets of records relate to the same man.

If the soldier with post-war service records held by the MoD is your relative, and they do have a date of birth in common, then it is possible that any great war service documents will also be will be filed with them. Certainly I'd expect it to at least be referenced under previous military service on his enlistment form. He was however an infantryman, serving with the York and Lancaster Regiment, not an artileryman or an engineer.

It's just as likely that in the case of  the man that the Medal Index Card relates to, then his service records, like those of the majority of Great War era other ranks, went up in flames in the blitz. There isn't an alternative source of enlistment papers held elsewhere - at regimental \ corps museums for example.

One of our Royal Artillery experts may be able to advise on whether there is an enlistment book for the Royal Field Artillery, but even that is unlikely to included the right kind of information to rule the soldier on the MiC in or out as your relative.

So you could be back to the potential paths set out in the other thread - childrens births certificates, mentions in the newspapers and the Absent Voters List.

Good luck,
Peter

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all your responses. It means a lot. I will use all you recommended actions and fingers crossed I get to the bottom of it. 

I will post any updates. 

Regards, 

Eddie

The ADT000536733 file does have the correct date of birth - 18/1/1883.

TEW 

Hi Eddie,

I don't think that it really helps one way or the other, but according to the LLT the service number 4740268 is associated (under post war renumbering) with the York & Lancaster Regiment - link.

Regards
Chris

4 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Eddie,

I don't think that it really helps one way or the other, but according to the LLT the service number 4740268 is associated (under post war renumbering) with the York & Lancaster Regiment - link.

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for that, every bit of info is helpful. Thanks again for the help :)