Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Russell of Aden or Sir Henry Howard

EwenHardie

Has anyone heard of General Russell of Aden or Sir Henry Howard who were possibly attached to the Headquarters Staff in France?

My Great Uncle Frank Cameron G/2513 was in the 7th East Kent Buff's and prior to the war was a butler for the Aden's in Aberdeenshire.

Any information much appreciated.

Below is Frank's obituary as he died of wounds in May 1917. He is buried at the Bucquoy Rd Cemetery, Ficheux.

Thanks

Ewen

image.png.be92e375d13e93b882f37b1c6935386b.png

General Russell of Aden would seem to be Francis Shirley Russell below

The fifth Laird, James George Ferguson Russell, was a soldier and diplomat, his career spanning twenty-two years from 1856 to 1878. During this time he served in legations and embassies in Scandinavia, Europe and Asia Minor, mainly in German cities such as Berlin and Munich. He took a strong interest in Aden; the papers show his determination to improve the estate and its holdings. He was also determined to uphold his rights regarding legal matters, with involvement in the 'Balus water case' and other legal disputes, illustrated in the papers by the large amount of correspondence between J.G.F. Russell and his solicitor, John Milne of Milne&Walker, Aberdeen.

J.G.F. Russell died without issue at the age of 51, and Aden - after much legal deliberation due to financial difficulties - passed to his brother Francis Shirley Russell, the sixth Laird, a career soldier. The papers give little information about his time at Aden, and concern mainly his inheritance of the estate. He attained the rank of Major General, then became Conservative MP for Cheltenham from 1895 to 1900. He was the author of two publications, Russian Wars in Turkey(1877) and Memoir of the Earl of Peterborough and Marlborough (1887).

2 hours ago, EwenHardie said:

Sir Henry Howard 

1.  Here is your great uncle Frank with his employer Sir Henry Howard, who joined the Diplomatic Service in 1865, and Howard's daughter Alice Lawrason Howard - at the Riviera Palace Hotel, Penzance.  1911 Census from ancestry:

1911.jpg.bc60d66d9f5891fa88f21b4539c1ac6d.jpg

2.  Sir Henry Howard, the peerage:

https://www.thepeerage.com/p6038.htm#i60373

3.  In December 1914, after the outbreak of the First World War, Sir Henry was appointed "His Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary on a Special Mission to His Holiness the Pope"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Howard_(diplomat)

JP

11 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

1.  Here is your great uncle Frank with his employer Sir Henry Howard, who joined the Diplomatic Service in 1865, and Howard's daughter Alice Lawrason Howard - at the Riviera Palace Hotel, Penzance.  1911 Census from ancestry:

1911.jpg.bc60d66d9f5891fa88f21b4539c1ac6d.jpg

2.  Sir Henry Howard, the peerage:

https://www.thepeerage.com/p6038.htm#i60373

3.  In December 1914, after the outbreak of the First World War, Sir Henry was appointed "His Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary on a Special Mission to His Holiness the Pope"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Howard_(diplomat)

JP

Hi JP

Many thanks for that.

This ties in with a photograph of Frank (right) all tooled up in his finery and titled in the service of the Dutch ambassador, which from your link Sir Henry Howard was.

So I guess Sir Henry was not at the Headquarters in France and it would have been General Russell whose family he previously worked for in Aberdeenshire in 1912 that would have been a staff officer.

Many thanks for the help

Ewen

1925907212_FrankCameron5.jpg.0ff5420dfbaf4996f489bb85cd3c15b5.jpg

Hi Corisande

I guess I am possibly misreading the obituary!

Frank must have been in the service of General Russell prior to 1912, then in the service of Sir Henry Howard in the diplomatic service as the 1911 census entry indicates.

I had thought that the mention of General Russell and the staff headquarters had meant he was a staff officer in WW1, however General Russell died in 1912. So Frank must have been at the staff headquarters.

Thanks to all for your help

Ewen