Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help looking for a possible photo of a WW1 Driver

EdScho10

Hi, 

My names Eddie Schofield. I am currently doing some digging on my ancestry and believe that there is a chance that my great great grandfather Edwin Schofield served. 

I have found records of an Edwin Schofield serving in the royal engineers/royal artillery as a driver. his regimental number was 34795. My grandfather Colin is still alive and met my great great grandfather Edwin so will be able to identify him in a picture (if there is one). I know for a fact that he was also a cornet player in the salvation army years after the war if that helps anyone in a photo hunt.

I'd appreciate any help/guidance on this. 

Thankyou.

Anything further you could add to your Edwin Schofield such as geographical location and parents etc would help a great deal as I note there are other possible Edwin Schofield’s.

... and welcome to the forum

Welcome

A quick look on Ancestry gives 32 responses to Edwin Schofield-so as Jay asks any way to narrow them down and confirm your 14795 soldier?

George

Was he born 1883 in Barnsley?

George

I know for a fact that he was also a cornet player in the salvation army 

Do you know where? 

Dave

Hi everyone, 

thanks for the responses 

Edwin schofield was born in 1883 in Barnsley, Yorkshire, England. He died on the 24th of April 1948 in Mexborough, England.  

I’m not sure where he played the cornet in the Salvation Army sadly. 

2 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Was he born 1883 in Barnsley?

George

Yes he was :) 

9 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Anything further you could add to your Edwin Schofield such as geographical location and parents etc would help a great deal as I note there are other possible Edwin Schofield’s.

... and welcome to the forum

Hi Jay, 

Edwin was born in 1883 in Barnsley, Yorkshire. He passed away in 1948 in Mexborough, England. 

His father was also called Edwin Schofield who was born in 1849 - 1884 and his mother was called Jane Quinn 1849-1888. 

He was also married to an Alice Mullineaux 1879-1962. 

2 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Welcome

A quick look on Ancestry gives 32 responses to Edwin Schofield-so as Jay asks any way to narrow them down and confirm your 14795 soldier?

George

Hi George, 

Edwin was born in 1883 in Barnsley, Yorkshire. He passed away in 1948 in Mexborough, England. 

His father was also called Edwin Schofield who was born in 1849 - 1884 and his mother was called Jane Quinn 1849-1888. 

He was also married to an Alice Mullineaux 1879-1962.

Edited by EdScho10

This would be a relative then

PRIVATETHOMAS MULLINEAUX

Service Number: 44932
Regiment & Unit/Ship

Lincolnshire Regiment

2nd Bn.

Date of Death

Died 27 May 1918

Age 38 years old

Buried or commemorated at

SOISSONS MEMORIAL

France

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
  • Country of Service United Kingdom

George

Do you know his birth date by any chance?

I think this may be him...

Full Name
E Schofield
Birth Date
18 Jan 1883
Rank
Army Other Ranks, Discharges for 1921-1939
Service Number
Reference Number
ADT000536733
Conflict Period
World War I
Served for
United Kingdom

George

1 hour ago, EdScho10 said:

Edwin was born in 1883 in Barnsley, Yorkshire. He passed away in 1948 in Mexborough, England. 

Hi @EdScho10 and a belated welcome to the forum.

The most likely match for that man on the 1911 Census of England & Wales was a 28 year old married Coal Hewer, born Barnsley and head of the household at 3 Cooke's Place, Atherton, Lancashire. I would say that unless he volunteered in the opening 12 months of the year it became increasingly likely that he would be retained in his civilian role. Even those from the coal mining industry who did enlist were frequently discharged to an Army Reserve on the condition they take up their old employment.

The Census shows he has been married to his wife Alice, (aged 32, born Atherton), for 6 years and the marriage has produced 4 children, all then still alive. The address fell within the Leigh Civil Registration District for Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Of the four children shown on the census:-
Maggie Scholfield, aged 5, born Atherton. The birth of a Maggie Schofield, mothers' maiden name "Mullyneaux" registered Leigh District Q2 1905.
Edwin Schofield, aged 4, born Atherton. The birth of an Edwin Schofield, mothers' maiden name Mullineaux, registered Leigh District Q3 1906
Nellie Schofield, aged 3, born Atherton. The birth of an Ellen Schofield, mothers' maiden name Mullineaux, registered Leigh District Q4 1907.
William Schofield, aged 1, born Atherton. The birth of a William Schofield, mothers' maiden name Mullineaux, registered Leigh District Q4 1909.

The most likely marriage was therefore the one recorded in the Barnsley District of Yorkshire in Q4 1904 - the union of an Edwin Schofield with an Alice "Mullyneaux".

The most likely match on the 1921 Census of England & Wales was an Edwin Schofield born c1883 at Barnsley who was recorded in the Barnsley Registration District. So while there are no more births reqgistered for a Schofield with mothers' maiden name Mullyneaux or Mullineux in the Leigh District, there is a Charles Schofield, mothers' maiden Mullineaux whose birth was registered in the Barnsley District in Q3. There are also other children registered with this combination of surnames in Lancashire and Yorkshire during the intervening period.

Two reasons for the genealogy.

Firstly, if a child was born during the period when your Edwin might have been serving, fathers' occupation on the childs birth certificate should shown fathers rank and regiment \ corps as a minimum, although sometimes it just shows "Soldier" while others have much more detail. Conversely if a civilian occupation is shown then confirmation he wasn't serving at that point.

Secondly, if Edwin was serving in 1918 / 1919, even if this was in the UK, then he would have appeared on the Absent Voters Lists for those years. Our parent site, the Long, Long Trail, has this on how this can help track down a unit and service number https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

The biggest problem is working out where a man might have registered himself to vote - if he even wanted to be registered.

On the list of freely available AVL's are those for Barnsley - if Edwin had moved back there by either 1918 or 1919 then it may be possible to track him down. http://www.barnsleywarmemorials.org.uk/p/absent-voters.html

Hope some of that helps,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

He was still a coal miner in 1921 according to the census-says (out of work).

Family lived at 8, Prospect Street Barnsley

Edwin, Alice and six children

George

35 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Do you know his birth date by any chance?

Full Name
E Schofield
Birth Date
18 Jan 1883
Rank
Army Other Ranks, Discharges for 1921-1939
Service Number
Reference Number
ADT000536733
Conflict Period
World War I
Served for
United Kingdom

George

Hi George, yes I believe that’s him. :) 

33 minutes ago, PRC said:

Hi @EdScho10 and a belated welcome to the forum.

The most likely match for that man on the 1911 Census of England & Wales was a 28 year old married Coal Hewer, born Barnsley and head of the household at 3 Cooke's Place, Atherton, Lancashire. I would say that unless he volunteered in the opening 12 months of the year it became increasingly likely that he would be retained in his civilian role. Even those from the coal mining industry who did enlist were frequently discharged to an Army Reserve on the condition they take up their old employment.

The Census shows he has been married to his wife Alice, (aged 32, born Atherton), for 6 years and the marriage has produced 4 children, all then still alive. The address fell within the Leigh Civil Registration District for Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Of the four children shown on the census:-
Maggie Scholfield, aged 5, born Atherton. The birth of a Maggie Schofield, mothers' maiden name "Mullyneaux" registered Leigh District Q2 1905.
Edwin Schofield, aged 4, born Atherton. The birth of an Edwin Schofield, mothers' maiden name Mullineaux, registered Leigh District Q3 1906
Nellie Schofield, aged 3, born Atherton. The birth of an Ellen Schofield, mothers' maiden name Mullineaux, registered Leigh District Q4 1907.
William Schofield, aged 1, born Atherton. The birth of a William Schofield, mothers' maiden name Mullineaux, registered Leigh District Q4 1909.

The most likely marriage was therefore the one recorded in the Barnsley District of Yorkshire in Q4 1904 - the union of an Edwin Schofield with an Alice "Mullyneaux".

The most likely match on the 1921 Census of England & Wales was an Edwin Schofield born c1883 at Barnsley who was recorded in the Barnsley Registration District. So while there are no more births reqgistered for a Schofield with mothers' maiden name Mullyneaux or Mullineux in the Leigh District, there is a Charles Schofield, mothers' maiden Mullineaux whose birth was registered in the Barnsley District in Q3. There are also other children registered with this combination of surnames in Lancashire and Yorkshire during the intervening period.

Two reasons for the genealogy.

Firstly, if a child was born during the period when your Edwin might have been serving, fathers' occupation on the childs birth certificate should shown fathers rank and regiment \ corps as a minimum, although sometimes it just shows "Soldier" while others have much more detail. Conversely if a civilian occupation is shown then confirmation he wasn't serving at that point.

Secondly, if Edwin was serving in 1918 / 1919, even if this was in the UK, then he would have appeared on the Absent Voters Lists for those years. Our parent site, the Long, Long Trail, has this on how this can help track down a unit and service number https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

The biggest problem is working out where a man might have registered himself to vote - if he even wanted to be registered.

On the list of freely available AVL's are those for Barnsley - if Edwin had moved back there by either 1918 or 1919 then it may be possible to track him down. http://www.barnsleywarmemorials.org.uk/p/absent-voters.html

Hope some of that helps,
Peter

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for the information. Really appreciate it. 

His name doesn’t appear on the Barnsley Absent Voters List nor the Atherton Colliery Roll of Honour which lists all those who served. If it is known he was a member of a Salvation Army band it will also be worth checking local colliery bands.

48 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Is discharge in or after 1921...perhaps he signed up as the colliery work wasn't there?

George

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

As a 7 digit number that would indicate post 1920 service. The number comes from the block allocated for use by the York & Lancaster Regiment - 4736001 to 4792000.
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

Given his age it might have been a 1 or 2 year short service enlistment to deal with industrial relations \ civil disorder and so could be Regular Army or Territorial Force. Or it could just be Territorial Force Service. May well mean that any paperwork for service from the Great War era may well have been wrapped into any post-war service records and retained by the Ministry of Defence. That is what the ADT reference refers to - it appears under that in the original MOD Press release listing from a few years back of Personnel Files still held with dates of birth prior to 1901.

Cheers,
Peter