Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy "Q" Ships

Myrtle

A friend's grandfather was a master mariner for a number of years before WW1 and then according to his records captained The Lodorer between 6th October 1915 until 31st December 1915. Would this have been the Lodorer which was in reality the Farnborough or another ship ?

The same man went on to The Wisley until late 1919. I know that he was near Hong Kong May 27th 1916 as they had to beach following a fire on board. Does anyone know anything about The Wisley ?

Myrtle

Loderer was Farnborough was HMS Q5. Commanded by Campbell VC.

An article at

http://www.rcnvr.com/a%20-%20WW1%20-%20RCN%20-%20RN.php

WOODISON, Stanley, Wireman (M.15547) - Mention in Despatches - RN / HMS Q.5

- Awarded as per London Gazette of 23 March 1917.

Stanley Woodison was born on 22 August 1887, at Windsor, Ontario, Canada. An Electrician (Wireman) by trade,

he volunteered for the Royal Navy on 6 October 1915, for the duration of the hostilities, and served throughout the

war in 'Q' ships under Captain Gordon Campbell. In the space of less than two years he would witness the destruction

of three U-boats in actions which would be rewarded with no less than 5 V.C's, 7 D.S.O's, 13 D.S.C's, 7 C.G.M's,

45 D.S.M's, and numerous M.I.D's.

Woodison joined HMS Loderer (later HMS Farnborough and HMS Q.5) on 5 November 1915.

On 22 March 1916, HMS Farnbourough enjoyed her first success with the sinking of the U-68, bringing promotion to

Commander for Campbell and the first of his three D.S.O's. With her name changed to HMS Q.5, she next sank

the U-83 on 17 February 1917, but was herself badly damaged by torpedoes and had to be beached. ( is this the one you mention?)

Campbell was awarded the Victoria Cross for this action, and many crew members received decorations or mentions,

including Woodison.

I can't find Wisely in a trawl through Dittmar & Colledge.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm

Thanks for the information. It looks as if it was either a different ship or that my friend's grandfather was not in command. I have a reference number 118627 for the Lodorer which is mentioned on his record. Does this give any clue ?

The Wisley has a reference number of 118121. It was in US around January 1916 prior to being in Hong Kong. It seems more likely that the ships that he commanded were transport ships. What do you think ?

Myrtle

Myrtle,

The following site, British Special Service or Q Ships, makes the noted refs to the Farnborough and its actions against U68 & U83 but makes no mention of a Wisley:

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishMLs.htm

Farnborough sank "U.68" on 22nd March 1916 SW of Ireland (first sinking by Lt Cdr Gordon Campbell, and his first Q-ship command)

Farnborough damaged 17th February 1917 while sinking "U.83" SW of Ireland (second sinking by Cdr Gordon Campbell - awarded VC)

Best wishes with your search for the Wisley.

David

David

Thanks for the information and link. I am not sure if the Lodorer, on which my man served, is the same as the "Q" Ship Lodorer.

Myrtle

Everything you will want is in the book "My Mystery Ships" by Gordon Campbell VC. It was published in the 1930's. I have a copy. It gives the full story on the Q5, Loderer etc...

I have a copy of that book.

I have a copy of that book.

So do I Campbell describes the Loderer as being a collier and typical looking "tramp".

here is a drawing of the master!

Neil and Morse

Thanks for your replies. ( I have already thanked Neil by email but repeating just in case he didn't receive it due to site being down ).

Morse

The picture of the master doesn't resemble William Ruthen, my friend's grandfather, but then he appears to have been with the Loderer for only three months.

Myrtle