Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death of Ernest Frederick Coote - RFC Mechanic

Crowman

Could anybody throw light on the death of Ernest Frederick Coote

No12  Reserve Squadron RFC, Air Mechanic 2nd class, Service No 13157 

Died 10th December 1916 aged 23, his CWGC headstone is in Kirkley Cemetery, Lowestoft.

Where were No12 Reserve Squadron stationed at this time?

I would be grateful for any information, thanks.

13 minutes ago, Crowman said:

Could anybody throw light on the death of Ernest Frederick Coote

The death of a 23 year old Ernest F H Coote was recorded in the Cambridge District in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1916 according to the quarterly indexes, although for some reason I'm not finding it on the GRO site.

Presumably this is the same Ernest Frederick Harry Coote, mothers' maiden name Barrett, whose birth was registered with the civil authorities in the Mutford District in the January to March quarter, (Q3), of 1894. You had 42 days after the event to register the birth, and the reporting reflected quarter registered, which isn't necessarily the same as quarter born. Kirkley was still a separate civil parish at the time although it was shortly after incorporated into Lowestoft. However both fell under the Mutford Civil Registration District for recording births, marriages and deaths.

The additional information on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website goes some way to confirm this is the right individual - "Son of Herbert W. and A. Coote, of 69, Lawson Rd., Lowestoft. Born at Lowestoft." https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/397643/ernest-frederick-coote/

One of the Norwich based newspapers, the Norwich Mercury, belonged to the same stable of papers as a Lowestoft title and so filled out it's pages with reporting on Lowestoft and the surrounding area. I've only had cause over the years to take notes for the week after Ernests' death but I've got nothing for him. That could well be an indicator that no coroners inquest was required in Cambridge or just that it wasn't reported on. The online records for Kirkley Cemetery show he was buried there on the 16th December 1916. http://apps.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/pages/cemeteries/Kirkley/cable_cutts.aspx

I don't subscribe, but if you do have access to FindMyPast or the British Newspaper Achive then the fuller version of this report in the Essex Newsman probably has the answer you are looking for.

665527815_FMPscreenshot280222.png.c420c4854ef486c77b09e502b6da49af.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast.

Additionally it looks like there is an entry for him in the Army Register of Soldiers Effects - thats Ancestry only. It may, (or may not!) give some more information about place of death and even possibly cause.

It also looks like there is a Dependants Pension Claim in his name - transcription on Ancestry, images on Fold3. This means a financial dependancy, not necessarily children. If he was having some of his wages deducted and paid to his mother or father this opened up the way for them to claim a Dependants Pension. What has survived are simple admin control cards from the Ministry of Pensions and the information varies enormously in quality. The most useful cards also state a cause of death of the serviceman.

Subcription to FindMyPast \ Fold3 also includes Airmen Died in the Great War, although that source doesn't go into great detail.

There is also the option of ordering a death certificate from the General Registrars Office - £7 for a pdf version and about 5 working days later you get notification it's available to download.

Hope some of that helps,
Peter

1 hour ago, PRC said:

The death of a 23 year old Ernest F H Coote was recorded in the Cambridge District in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1916 according to the quarterly indexes, although for some reason I'm not finding it on the GRO site.

Presumably this is the same Ernest Frederick Harry Coote, mothers' maiden name Barrett, whose birth was registered with the civil authorities in the Mutford District in the January to March quarter, (Q3), of 1894. You had 42 days after the event to register the birth, and the reporting reflected quarter registered, which isn't necessarily the same as quarter born. Kirkley was still a separate civil parish at the time although it was shortly after incorporated into Lowestoft. However both fell under the Mutford Civil Registration District for recording births, marriages and deaths.

The additional information on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website goes some way to confirm this is the right individual - "Son of Herbert W. and A. Coote, of 69, Lawson Rd., Lowestoft. Born at Lowestoft." https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/397643/ernest-frederick-coote/

One of the Norwich based newspapers, the Norwich Mercury, belonged to the same stable of papers as a Lowestoft title and so filled out it's pages with reporting on Lowestoft and the surrounding area. I've only had cause over the years to take notes for the week after Ernests' death but I've got nothing for him. That could well be an indicator that no coroners inquest was required in Cambridge or just that it wasn't reported on. The online records for Kirkley Cemetery show he was buried there on the 16th December 1916. http://apps.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/pages/cemeteries/Kirkley/cable_cutts.aspx

I don't subscribe, but if you do have access to FindMyPast or the British Newspaper Achive then the fuller version of this report in the Essex Newsman probably has the answer you are looking for.

665527815_FMPscreenshot280222.png.c420c4854ef486c77b09e502b6da49af.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast.

Additionally it looks like there is an entry for him in the Army Register of Soldiers Effects - thats Ancestry only. It may, (or may not!) give some more information about place of death and even possibly cause.

It also looks like there is a Dependants Pension Claim in his name - transcription on Ancestry, images on Fold3. This means a financial dependancy, not necessarily children. If he was having some of his wages deducted and paid to his mother or father this opened up the way for them to claim a Dependants Pension. What has survived are simple admin control cards from the Ministry of Pensions and the information varies enormously in quality. The most useful cards also state a cause of death of the serviceman.

Subcription to FindMyPast \ Fold3 also includes Airmen Died in the Great War, although that source doesn't go into great detail.

There is also the option of ordering a death certificate from the General Registrars Office - £7 for a pdf version and about 5 working days later you get notification it's available to download.

Hope some of that helps,
Peter

Thank you for your impressive work here Peter, plenty of leads to follow up. I do have access to the British Newpaper Archive but not Ancestry or Find my Past etc. Looks like the Essex Newsman could provide the most detail, as you have suggested. Must admit I got distracted with the possibility of there being a military explanation for his death and overlooked the information closer to home.

Cheers

David