Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 86017 H .Walker Liverpool Regiment

Brian J Owen

I purchased a Victory medal to Pte 86017 H. (Harry) Walker, could anyone tell me to which battalion he belonged to, on his medal card he also qualified for the war medal, so know he served overseas, but no date's there's no pension card for any other information. I have checked other numbers around 86017, but still l am drawing a blank, any assistance would be appreciated, 

Brian 

Medal roll indicates 4th Btn

Screenshot_20220228-090045.png

Thank you for your response, much appreciated, now I can look in depth at the 4th Batt Kings Regiment to see where he was, thanks again, 

Regards, 

Brian 

Brain,

All three of those Bns were in France throughout. His moves between them suggest wounding or illness but I’m no expert.  he must have arrived with the 4th as a draft replacement sometime after Jan 1916.

Ive looked on the July to wars end casualty lists and nothing there. 

Hi Andrew, thanks for the information, I am not sure now as to what direction I should take. I have downloaded the diary of the 4th battalion ,and noticed the amount of casualties and replacement men joining the battalion in 1916 maybe its worth me checking out the other numbers mentioned on the  medal roll against the pension cards, can I assume that all the numbers 86017 through to 86023 enlisted to together, and then were directed to different battalion as  required? As always, i should never assume anything, 

Thanks for your information, I think I need to put some more work in,

Regards 

Brian

Brian,

Apologies.  I should read the medal card better,  He only served with the 4th Bn which narrows your search.  Forget the other Bns.

I’m not sure how the KLR did its allocation but the 4th is likely the unit he was assigned either on leaving England or when in the depot In France.  See here:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/infantry-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/

So id look at men near  to him in the roll who went to the 4th.   I cant say if they enlisted at the same time.

Do you know is where he was from in the country?

I have looked but is there a KLR museum or regimental website?

Andrew, no worries, I appreciate the feedback, I know nothing regarding him other than his medal, number and regiment, so I am really going to start and work backwards. Thanks for the link, and I will try the KLR museum route, thanks again, 

Regards, 

Brian 

Further investigation reveals Pte 86016 William Martin , enlisted 10th September 1917,discharged 12 August 1919 from the 3rd Battalion (information from thr S.W.B. list) he was one number in front of Pte H.Walker, can I assume they enlisted same day ?

Regards, 

Brian