Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Times Casualty Lists

JonnyH

I have just snapped up a 3 month subscription to The Times, including access to The Times Archive for just £1.

I aim to search the casualty lists published by The Times, but can anyone save me hours of frustration by providing any tips or guidance on how best to search this archive for individuals?

Look at the format it uses. It varies 

ie pte John smith

j.smith  John smith Smith J

cold gds,  coldm gds,  Coldstream guards 

commas, full stops, spacing .

Worth opening any page, pick some text and then try to find the text again using the search engine. My point being you know it’s there so “should” be able to find it using the search engine

I like to search using a soldiers number as the format can’t vary just for numbers (I’m discounting those with / or - but bear them in mind depending on what or who you are looking for )

Search engines can be a temperamental beast especially when the text is a bit fuzzy 

Many thanks for the advice Coldstreamer, I've had a quick go with no luck, but like you say there are numerous possible combinations to attempt so I will keep going!

Is there anyone or anything in particular you are after ?

We like a challenge on here :thumbsup:

I have posted previously regarding my gg grandfather, Charles Cousins, he was in the RAMC TF in WW1, his initial number appears to have been 1665 and subsequently 424014. 

424014 equates to him being part of 4th Northern General Hospital in Lincoln. There are 2 records on MICs. 1665 shows entitlement to 14/15 star with entry on a Hospital Ship.

The discharge dates for 1665 and 424014 differ though.

I know 424014 was entitled to a SWB and this also shows he served abroad. I realise this does not necessarily mean he was wounded, but I wanted to see if I could find him in the casualty lists anyway to prove/disprove?

The Times will only have casualty lists from Aug 1914 to May 1917. His 424014 number was presumably applied in the Spring of 1917.

He has a few pension cards/ledgers, some of which have both numbers but all these indicate the same discharge date as the SWB details. The 31/3/1920 date on the 'normal' MIC seems to be either an error or doesn't relate to his discharge. One card has a date of 13/2/1920 but I'm not sure of the context.

His pension cards/ledgers show he moved regions (date unknown) but they all say : Discharged 29/5/19 and pension commenced 30/5/1919.

The only indication of a cause of discharge or reason for the pension is given as Dispepsia [sic] Dyspepsia.

TEW