Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T and T wound

brianmorris547

This is from the WO 364 of James W Bogle 710124, Bolton Artillery. He was serving with 211 Bde RFA T when he was wounded on 27/10/1918 in the left thigh through the right calf. The wound in the right leg is described as a T and T wound or a T plus T wound. Can someone enlighten me please.

Thanks

Brian

710124.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

The wound in the right leg is described as a T and T wound or a T plus T wound. Can someone enlighten me please.

Through & Through

[Have seen a report of another man with an entry wound and also an exit wound described as a T & T wound]

M

M

Thanks. I thought the T might be through when the wound was described as through the right calf. 

Brian 

A pension index card is available

1924613282_BOGLEJW710124.png.ac4753aecc2d47c657185c300e2026a4.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

It rather appears he was transferred to the RFA Z Army Reserve on 18/2/19 - at which point he probably put in a pension claim [whch is likely to have been on Army Form Z.21]

The 5/6 pw from 19/2/19 to 19/8/19 granted was the going rate for a Pte/Gnr with 20% disability.

M

M

Thanks again. I am soon going to move on to looking for Penion Cards for Bolton Artillery men. I have noticed a number of WO 364 records where the applicant was refused a pension claim and went onto the Z Reserve. 

Brian

6 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

I have noticed a number of WO 364 records where the applicant was refused a pension claim and went onto the Z Reserve. 

The process was generally somewhat in the opposite direction = into Z AR and simultaneously make a pension claim on AF Z.21 [which might later be successul or unsccessful].  The pension process started in full a bit later and that is when the index cards were physically & retrospectively prepared.

A claim [whether later successful or unsucessful] was not necessarily an impediment to being transferred to the Z AR = At the point of transfer you just had to be considered fit enough/not sufficiently disabled to potentially be quickly & easily remobilised if the Armistice broke down/Peace Treaty was not signed and it all kicked off again [fortunately war did not start again and the Z AR was disbanded August 1920]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

To add to the above, it's not uncommon to see men with some relatively serious injuries enter Class Z. There was either a view of 'there are always plenty of roles they could fulfill or 'we'll examine them again on call-up and they might be fit'.

Craig

4 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

To add to the above, it's not uncommon to see men with some relatively serious injuries enter Class Z. There was either a view of 'there are always plenty of roles they could fulfill or 'we'll examine them again on call-up and they might be fit'.

Yes, It rather seems that if you had a limb or part of one shot off they you were likely to be discharged. But if not, quite likely to be ... Transferred.

It certainly seems that appearances might have had a role to play - there seem to have been quite a few Pulmonary TB sufferers who were fairly obviously in a pretty bad way yet they were transferred only to be later rated at 100% disabled and dead within a few short days/week/months = I reckon the rating and death need not necessarily have been in that order.

[I do recognise that the later arrived at 100% rate for TB sufferers was to try and stop them going out to work and thus spreading the disease in the wider civilian population - seems they were earlier commonly originally rated as c.60% and by necessity destined for the civilian workforce!]

But would they really have been fit enough for the Z AR?  And yet, what a liability in the Army.

And plenty of others with hidden bad lung/heart/other disease/pensionable conditions.

But I think I am wandering somewhat off the intended topic. :-/

M