Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Mauser ????


wmfinch
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

Trying to investigate whether this type of Mauser would have been used during WW1.  If it was, it will be added to a public display.  The only markings I can see are the numerals 409 (?) but apart from the photos, that’s all I have.  Any help will be very much appreciated.

V/R

Wayne

521AC296-3766-4A93-8106-5BF5F24F5FBF.jpeg

8564F1D5-23B0-4DF6-AF24-9CC11AB1D6DB.jpeg

45EDCF08-AB10-4A64-AB9B-522E91055D25.jpeg

Edited by wmfinch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

good morning,

see the arrow in your gun :

71041643_45EDCF08-AB10-4A64-AB9B-522E91055D25.jpeg.83a1c4bb2c3452844db9c5223aff26de(1).jpeg.d7fd0cf5af02dcbc374708757c05c73e.jpeg

regards

michel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

see the arrow in your gun :

71041643_45EDCF08-AB10-4A64-AB9B-522E91055D25.jpeg.83a1c4bb2c3452844db9c5223aff26de(1).jpeg.d7fd0cf5af02dcbc374708757c05c73e.jpeg

regards

michel

Wow, thanks Michel!  Does this mean it’s a WW1 7.92 mm as Museumtom is suggesting? 

CA832C0F-4692-4B35-9CFC-B8FEF87CC28F.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thunder is well attacked by rust.
it will therefore be impossible to see any marking
but in view of the snail rise, this indicates a G98 - 1st world war.

michel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That rifle looks like normal Gew98, unfortunally the rust on upper receiver is so heavy so i assume there is no possible read the maker, maybe some parts of proofs could be visible on right side ? 7,92mm x57 IS shold be the cartridge.

Edited by AndyBsk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, battle of loos said:

thunder is well attacked by rust.
it will therefore be impossible to see any marking
but in view of the snail rise, this indicates a G98 - 1st world war.

michel

Nice one Michel 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

That rifle looks like normal Gew98, unfortunally the rust on upper receiver is so heavy so i assume there is no possible read the maker, maybe some parts of proofs could be visible on right side ? 7,92mm x57 IS shold be the cartridge.

Thank you Andy, that’s good enough for me 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All, we have now managed to clean the rifle up and have found the remains of some markings.  Can anyone tell if this is a makers mark please?

Also, a ‘swivel’ piece has been freed up and we don’t know what it was for.  
 

Any help will be very much appreciated 

C654A8EE-FCFD-45AE-907A-301AD028C493.jpeg

1F6A1AE1-ED73-487C-8F9E-07B20CAC4B32.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Can anyone tell if this is a makers mark please?...

C654A8EE-FCFD-45AE-907A-301AD028C493.jpeg

 

That's the makers mark, and although the date appears obscured would have looked something like this:

Breech markings (2).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "swivel piece" is the bolt stop.

You pull it out (as shown in your picture) and it releases the bolt so it can be withdrawn to the rear.

See below (this is a Kar 98 but the mechanism is the same)

IMG_0907.JPG.e4c908e06da9098b138298b9453ff6a0.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG.04ee891980507b4ba7f5dfbe9b45ee1a.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG.d2555ed1b90ddf709d4173bdbfbecab9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes,Andrew is correct,Waffenfabrik Mauser AG.Oberndorf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

The "swivel piece" is the bolt stop.

You pull it out (as shown in your picture) and it releases the bolt so it can be withdrawn to the rear.

See below (this is a Kar 98 but the mechanism is the same)

IMG_0907.JPG.e4c908e06da9098b138298b9453ff6a0.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG.04ee891980507b4ba7f5dfbe9b45ee1a.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG.d2555ed1b90ddf709d4173bdbfbecab9.JPG

 

Wow!  That is fantastic … very much appreciated.  We thought something had snapped off, but it’s almost complete and now ‘working’!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

That's the makers mark, and although the date appears obscured would have looked something like this:

Breech markings (2).jpg

Unbelievable!  Before my friend sandblasted it and treated it with his ‘special solution’, we had no idea those markings still existed.  Thank you from both of us!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Yes,Andrew is correct,Waffenfabrik Mauser AG.Oberndorf.

Much appreciated 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/03/2022 at 13:44, wmfinch said:

Unbelievable!  Before my friend sandblasted it and treated it with his ‘special solution’, we had no idea those markings still existed.  Thank you from both of us!

What would you say made the greatest difference—the sandblasting or the special solution?

Regards,

JMB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has the barrel been cut short - or snapped short?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/03/2022 at 19:16, JMB1943 said:

What would you say made the greatest difference—the sandblasting or the special solution?

Regards,

JMB

Combination of both, but the sandblasting mostly I would say 👍

On 12/03/2022 at 10:02, Stevie said:

Has the barrel been cut short - or snapped short?

Snapped I would say 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Combination of both, but the sandblasting mostly I would say 👍

Snapped I would say 👍

Thank you, Sir!

Regards,

JMB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...