Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newbie Assistance Required with Interpreting Medal Card Entries

QuisSeparabit

7 minutes ago, TEW said:

I think the WO364 file also gives nil disability and no pension for April 1919. Then a 20% disability appears for (I think) October 1919 and it continues into 1920 with further medical boards and awards.

Looks like the WFA only have his initial claim?

Not that uncommon - as the index cards were only the tip of the iceberg - the main files were of course usually deliberately destroyed or weeded and pilfered to recreate service records after the WW2 bomb and fire debacle.

If you get more, then that is a real bonus.

[He's not showing up in the very few 'PIN 26' retained files]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

8 minutes ago, TEW said:

I think the WO364 file also gives nil disability and no pension for April 1919. Then a 20% disability appears for (I think) October 1919 and it continues into 1920 with further medical boards and awards.

Looks like the WFA only have his initial claim?

Previous post disregarding this man noted.

You mentioned:

Are there any records that show home address and/or next of kin before I order his full military record?

Now discounted I know but unless a man continued in service into 1921 (or perhaps were Guards) there's nowhere to order full records from.

TEW

Thanks again for clarifying re absence of full records, are there any other records that may potentially name home address and/or next of kin so that I can try and make a positive ID (there are ALOT of J Scanlons - albeit fewer JT Scanlons!).

I noted that Robert P Scanlon's POW/Red Cross record showed both next of kin and address and was wondering if there were any other online records that might include them?

Any suggestions welcomed so that I can focus my efforts.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, QuisSeparabit said:

Any suggestions welcomed

Just a thought - many men served under an alias [deliberate or accidental]

Have you perhaps also tried SCANLAN ??

M

2 hours ago, QuisSeparabit said:

Thanks again for clarifying re absence of full records, are there any other records that may potentially name home address and/or next of kin so that I can try and make a positive ID (there are ALOT of J Scanlons - albeit fewer JT Scanlons!).

I noted that Robert P Scanlon's POW/Red Cross record showed both next of kin and address and was wondering if there were any other online records that might include them?

Any suggestions welcomed so that I can focus my efforts.

Thanks.

There isn't a complete index of these things. There are some online records that'll give home town or next of kin's location. Service or pension files usually have a town or address. Post war pension cards/ledgers have towns or addresses.

None of the above are complete or cover the whole war plus there's always transcription errors or incomplete indexing.

There are some records which show an age, there are 35 such hits for J Scanlon.

At present it's not known if a record for him would be under John Thomas, John T or just John and a medal card could be simply J Scanlon.

No idea how many men you'd have to check but you'd have to start with gleaning all contenders from all the records and start eliminating them by forename, age, if they died, or anything specific that can't apply to your JTS.

Do you know where he enlisted or was living when called up? Ditto for a post war Birmingham address?

Any marriage or children details could help.

TEW