Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Centre

KIRKY

Hi

just returned from 4 days on Somme.

The visitors centre is great with a great bookshop.

One thing that came up was the fact that several german soldiers were found when digging out the foundations but they were not reported to authorities?

"they did not want to hold up the work"

Does anyone know about this.

I find it hard to believe in view of the purpose of the centre.

Tony

Guest jumberly

Ooops. I thought the first message had failed. Never mind, just an echo.

Just deleted your echo :D

Edited by Peter Beckett

Tony

There were the remains of 6 German sodiers found on the site in July 2003 and another in May 2004. They were all located in the area which is now crossed by the car park entrance some 30metres behind the site of the German 3rd line trench.

They were identified as German by accompying tunic buttons, belt hooks etc. As soon as they were found work in that area ceased and the discovery was reported at once to the Mayor of Thiepval and the Gendarmerie. The full exhumation of the remains was carried out by staff from the Service des Sepultes Militaires (French CWGC equivalent) who carry out this type of work for the German graves organisation which has no staff in the area. A thorough search was made but there

were no effects from which to make personal identifications and the remains were removed for re-interrment in an appropriate cemetery. (Regret I can't tell you which one)

M

I received newsletters updating me of progress on raising funds for, and then building, the centre. I'm sure I recall reading in them pretty much exactly what Mike H just posted - ie, all due care and procedures were observed regarding bodies found.

Cheers,

Ste