Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stolen Medals Andrew Forbes Lawson

Skipman

In a recent break in in Perthshire some medals were stolen. Not certain how many but I think probably the British War Medal and Victory Medal of Andrew Forbes Lawson. I think this would probably be Private 54898 18th Battalion Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) All I have is his birth date 2/5/1898. If you think it may be a different soldier please post any corrections.

Can any information be phoned to police Scotland, 101, quoting crime number CR/0005377/22

Mike

Edited by Skipman

On 21/02/2022 at 07:57, Skipman said:

In a recent break in in Perthshire some medals were stolen. Not certain how many but I think probably the British War Medal and Victory Medal of Andrew Forbes Lawson. I think this would probably be Private 54898 18th Battalion Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) All I have is his birth date 2/5/1898. If you think it may be a different soldier please post any corrections.

Can any information any information be phoned to police Scotland, 101, quoting crime number CR/0005377/22

Mike

Would you like me to post this on the BMF for you too? They’ve a Stolen Medals section there.

Martin

1 hour ago, MartyG said:

Would you like me to post this on the BMF for you too? They’ve a Stolen Medals section there.

Martin

Hi Martin. Yes please that would be great. If anyone else knows useful sites to post on please do share far and wide. They are apparently of great sentimental value.

Thank you.

Mike

Mike, may be worth setting a search on ebay to be notified if listed. Don't use trio or similar as you will get lots, just his name should do.

53 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Hi Martin. Yes please that would be great. If anyone else knows useful sites to post on please do share far and wide. They are apparently of great sentimental value.

Thank you.

Mike

All done, Mike.

DB5EA198-BE2C-4ED4-969D-2082246DB244.jpeg.8b91e783f83372cd92523615c094dc4e.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

As last resort I believe you can get official replacements from MoD for stolen medals. Not the same but at least it’s something. Download and fill in the medal application form to ask for a replacement medal. Send the form to the MOD Medal Office, along with: a letter explaining how the medal was stolen or destroyed, and. a copy of the police report or insurance claim.Good luck with your search.

47 minutes ago, Lawryleslie said:

As last resort I believe you can get official replacements from MoD for stolen medals. Not the same but at least it’s something. Download and fill in the medal application form to ask for a replacement medal. Send the form to the MOD Medal Office, along with: a letter explaining how the medal was stolen or destroyed, and. a copy of the police report or insurance claim.Good luck with your search.

Thank you Lawryleslie. I have no connection to the medals but I know a policeman who asked me to add the information to relevant Forums. I will forward that to my colleague. .

Cheers Mike

My understanding is that the MoD will only reissue WWI medals to the current next of kin if the originals were never received by the recipient and had been returned to the medal office or had never been applied for. There are different rules for post-WWI medals:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/replace-a-medal-or-badge

Edited by peregrinvs

I have written to the Editor of Medal News, hopefully they will publish the theft in the next edition.

I hope they can be found and returned

31 minutes ago, adrian 1008 said:

I have written to the Editor of Medal News, hopefully they will publish the theft in the next edition.

I hope they can be found and returned

Thank you Adrian. No news of them yet am afraid.

Mike