Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Memorial Arboretum

Roy Evans

David Childs, the founder and director of the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, near Lichfield claims that he has been forced to resign from the post by the Royal British Legion who are set to take over the site.

The national centre for remembrance of war dead, which has memorials for more than 100 organisations and 4000 individuals was opened in 2001.

An arboretum statement said “The Royal British Legion do not wish David Childs or the existing trustees and directors to have any further involvement in the project when they take over in the near future.”

“David Childs is quoted as saying “Of course I am sad to be leaving the arboretum but the RBL is the natural inheritor of this marvellous tribute and I wish them every success in their continuing development of our flourishing project.”

David Childs was awarded the CBE in the Queens Birthday Honours List for his work in founding the arboretum.

:(

John,

I'm just passing on the item as reported in my local evening paper. As usual there are two sides to every story ......

Roy

It's very unfortunate that such a laudable idea seems to have become embroiled in controversy. There was some aggro with the Burma Star Association a year or so ago about their memorial at the arboretum. My father is a member, but I forget the exact nature of the dispute. Is one problem the fact that it will inevitably be some years before the site looks as it is intended and that attracting visitors until that happens may be a problem?