Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Corps Duties & Role

Blackblue

I recall this sort of question being asked many times. While looking for something else I found this in the official history of the AIF. There is an very good description of the work carried out by the Australian Army Medical Corps. It gives an excellent insight into the duties, roles and responsibilites of all the allied medical units and how things operated on the Western Front.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/med2/index.asp

Rgds

Tim D

In an only slightly jocular mode, I am reminded of the complaint by a US WWI surgeon that "To the average line officer, the military surgeon is an unwillingly tolerated non-combatant who clutters up the battlefield, causes transportation difficulties, gives cathartic pills, and makes the water taste bad." Doc2

I found this in the official history of the AIF

I'm very irritated to realize I've spent a lot of money buring Buyler's Vols 1 and 2 only to learn I could copy/trad them electronically.!!

Again, why are the Colonies so far ahead of the Motherland in providing access (let alone, 'free access'). We Poms are Treasury Cannon Fodder.

Chris

PS: Anybody got a spare Vol III of OH AAMS to dell? PM me.

There us nothing like having the originals Chris!

Rgds

Tim D

There is an very good description of the work carried out by the Australian Army Medical Corps.  It gives an excellent insight into the duties, roles and responsibilites of all the allied medical units and how things operated on the Western Front. 

In the Field service Pocket book - 1914 PP199 - 205 there is a description of medical service for the british and no doubt the AIF as well.