Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regtl Conduct Sheet Abbreviations

Rockford

Hello,

This is probably a very simple question, but can someone shed light on what punishment "8 days No. 4" describes?  It's definitely a 4.

It's in the service papers of Private Michael Gorman of the 2nd Royal Scots [7712] and relates to his being insolent to an NCO.  It took place during his pre WW1 service aboard the SS Ionian en route to South Africa in July 1902 and was his third such offence in six weeks.  He was confined to camp 'CC' for the first, and imprisoned for 48hrs with hard labour for the second (where he had refused to obey an order).

He was mobilised in August 1914, promoted Lance Corporal on 1st Nov 1914 and KIA at Petit Bois on 14th December 1914.

Thanks

Brian

• Admin

I'm not absolutely certain but I think it is the on-board (ship) equivalent to CB (Confined to Barracks) or CC (Confined to Camp).

It would be nice to see a document that describes the scale of these punishments  - more familiar with FP No 1 and No 2 but not seen No 3, No 4 (etc etc ??) written down anywhere.

Regards

Russ

Hello Russ

That makes sense.  It hadn't occurred to me that the same thing might be called something different if it took place on a ship - all the info I could find too was for FP1 & FP2.  At least they didn't make him walk the plank!

Michael seems to have bristled against the army's authority in the early part of his service.  However, army life must have had significance for him, as he fraudulently enlisted in the HLI in 1907 after his transfer to the Royal Scots reserve (for which he appears to have been imprisoned for two months), but then extended his period in the reserve in 1913, a decision that led to him being mobilised in August 1914 and shipped to France almost immediately.

He was also mentioned in the despatch sent by Sir John French in Jan 1915, which appeared in the London Gazette on 17th Feb that year.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Edit: to correct date of mobilisation

Edited by Rockford