Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper Albert Bamford 347221 gassed

ralphjd

Tried -and failed - to have this soldier commemorated by the CWGC died from the effects of gas poisoning in 1919, just checked his name on the SWB Roll and he was discharged - sickness - on the 5 June 1918 along with very many more men from his corps on this date for the same reason, seems strange to me, can any Pal shed light on this particular date for the Inland Waterways and Railway Transports Dept. 

Probably just an admin date that they got discharged. Never known discharge date to be significant 

Did the cwgc give you a reason for not including him ?

Just seems strange that so many for the same reason released on the same date. Photo of the CWGC reply in a few moments.

Reply attached. I sent his death cert, newspaper report, photo of his family grave marker etc CWGC immovable IMHO I have no respect for them at all.

P1120986 (1).JPG

I have a newspaper report somewhere and a copy of his death certificate, I posted this lad on the non comm site a while back but the consensus of opinion was that it was not worth submitting it via the IFTC project, but I decided to go ahead with it anyway , without success , but I had to try . Ralph

11 minutes ago, ralphjd said:

I have a newspaper report somewhere and a copy of his death certificate, I posted this lad on the non comm site a while back but the consensus of opinion was that it was not worth submitting it via the IFTC project, but I decided to go ahead with it anyway , without success , but I had to try . Ralph

Could I ask please,  what the wording is on the death certificate?

TR

If I remember correctly Pulmonary Tuberculosis and Asthenia which in the opinion of John (Hartley) not worth submitting. Service record exists for Albert. Ralph.

Ralph

Unfortunately that is no proof of gas poisoning per your newspaper report. I have a man in my Db who died of TB but his discharge was caused by Disorderly Action of the Heart. Being gassed was treated as a wound, normally recorded as “wounded , gas” , then annotated “shell”  or “drift.”  

Given that there is no evidence of his  condition was caused by war Service service, I can see why CWGC did not allow the claim.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Fair comment, but I think they are very pedantic and immovable , you don't join up obviously  healthy get discharged after 15 years service as a result of sickness and die less than 12 months later from TB having been reported gassed apparently on two occasions  . Just my opinion but who cares about that.Ralph